PDA

View Full Version : Change arrow key behavior

shankar
09-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Hi,

I have a weird problem. I want to be able to enter just the minus sign in any cell in my VBA application. It gets entered properly if I hit the return key after typing it. But if I use the arrow keys to move to adjacent cells, it enters the range of the new cell after the - sign, like I am trying to enter a formula, and doesn't change the cell value.

I tried setting Application.EnableAutoComplete = False and Application.DisplayFormulaAutoComplete = False, but am not able to change the behavior. I also formatted the cells to be only text. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Shankar

GTO
09-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Use the Enter key, or the Tab key, or type a leading apostrophe (which will "hide" when you leave the cell).

Using the arrow keys or mouse makes Excel think you are trying to build a formula.

shankar
09-02-2010, 08:10 AM
Thanks. But I cannot expect the user to do this. Anyway to turn off this behavior?

GTO
09-02-2010, 11:35 AM
Not as far as I know. Just an opinion, but if you have end users 'bright' enough to enable macros, you may be selling them short.

If this is one of the 'top issues' with the distributed project, maybe a msgbox on open...