PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Custom diagram dots in excel 2003

hunsnowboard
09-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi there Everyone!

I am working with many scatter plots diagrams in excel. I was just wondering if there is a way to change the default dots style of the diagram to a custom one, created by me (jpg image file). Is it possible with VBA or I have to stick to the excels default style? (I am using excel 2003)

Thank you very much in advance!

NomalAnomaly
09-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey,

There's an option to add and manage custom graphics with excel, using simple macros in VBA.

However as far as I know there is no option to specifically add a graphical item which will function as a diagram. In other words, you can add an image designed by you but excel won't 'know' whether this image is a diagram or something else.

If this solution suites you please reply this message and I will explain how to add graphics.

hunsnowboard
09-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi NomalAnomaly!

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I don't really understand your reply, but to make things easier to understand I have attached an image file where you can see clearly what I would like to change.

The default situation is that I need Excel to show point 3 and 3 on the diagram. Then I would like to change the dot to a dice. Please see image.
Is it possible? Thank you again for your help!

NomalAnomaly
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi hunsnowboard,

Your 2nd post is indeed much clearer, and hopefully my reply as well :yes

So... I found a way to do what you requested, and no macro is required.

As far as I understand, your diagram is in fact a Scattered dots chart. And when you try to edit the legend key of such chart, you get several default options (circle, diamond, etc) but no option for custom legend.

However, if we take the columns chart, for example, you do have an option to replace the legend with a custom one. Here is what you need to do:

1. Create a columns chart.
2. Right click on one of the columns -> Choose "Format Data Series..."
3. In the "Patterns" tab, click on the "Fill Effects..." button.
4. In the new window, go to the "Picture" tab and click on the "Select Picture" button.
5. Select whatever picture you wish and click OK.

Now that you have the picture in place, all you need to do is change the chart type back to "Scattered Dots":

1. Right click somewhere on the chart's blank area.
2. Choose "Chart Type..."
3. Change the type back to "XY (Scattered)"
4. Your legend is now the picture you've chosen.

I hope this one helps...
Thanks,
NormalAnomaly

hunsnowboard
09-13-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow! :) Works like charm! Thank you so much! Thank you! :)