PDA

View Full Version : Import from text file and format data in excel

supag
09-14-2010, 04:29 AM
I am very new to vba and macros with excel. I have an excel file well its actually a text file but i can open it in excel and it pretty much formats it for me. See attached for how it looks. Basically it makes multiple rows for the same phone number rather then one row with multiple columns.

Can any one help me with a vba macro to take the multiple rows into 1 row per use/phone number. So for each phone number that has multiple rows make it into 1 row and take each "item description" and "used" column and make it into multiple columns. Sorry if this is confusing. I attached a excel file to make it more clear.

Thanks

supag
09-15-2010, 02:56 AM
does anyone have any ideas to start this and i can edit and add to it. Im sorry if it is unclear. It is a little confusing to explain but basically i need to make a macro to make rows into columns and for it not to repeat.

lynnnow
09-15-2010, 03:13 AM
Hi,

I've not used any code, just a simple pivot table. See the Sheet1 in the attachment for details.

supag
09-15-2010, 01:26 PM
A lot of the stuff under Item descriptions are going to repeat (going to have the same name) will pivot end up making duplicates or will pivot know to put it under the already existing one.