PDA

View Full Version : My txt fields are moving out of sync when i display it on my form in Acess 2007

wedd
09-19-2010, 10:59 PM
Here's a strange thing I'm trying add two numbers in two separate text fields on a form...however the text fields are displaying in even number sync...i.e I add a text field which show txt1 and then i place a second field box it displays txt3...when it should logically display txt2...what must I do that when i add text boxes it will display a normal sync of txt1, txt2 and txt3...I'm not sure what's causing this to happen...it's affecting a simple calculation to take place. Any ideas why this is happening?:dunno

Thanks for your contributions:clap:

hansup
09-20-2010, 07:55 AM
When you add a text box, look at the name Access assigns to the text box and its associated label.

For example, when I add a text box which Access names as Text2, the associated label is named Label3.

The next text box I add will be Text4 and its label Label5.

If you want your text boxes numbered sequentially, use your own names instead of the names Access gives them.

Imdabaum
09-22-2010, 01:40 PM
Here's a strange thing I'm trying add two numbers in two separate text fields on a form...however the text fields are displaying in even number sync...i.e I add a text field which show txt1 and then i place a second field box it displays txt3...when it should logically display txt2...what must I do that when i add text boxes it will display a normal sync of txt1, txt2 and txt3...I'm not sure what's causing this to happen...it's affecting a simple calculation to take place. Any ideas why this is happening?:dunno

Thanks for your contributions:clap:

What should you do? How do you fix this?

Wedd,

Excuse my rant, but the way to fix it is to rename the controls to something semantically useful. I know that technology is moving fast and most of the applications I build will be obsolete soon because some voice activated/touch screen gui will come along. But I still consider the fact that if I ever die in a tragic accident (or non-tragic depending on how my personality rubs you), someone will have to read my code.... And then they will have to understand it.:friends:

Back on topic though... have you tried compacting and repairing?

hansup
09-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Excuse my rant, but the way to fix it is to rename the controls to something semantically useful. Excellent rant! I would add that, assuming you survive, you will benefit from semantically useful control names when you have to re-visit the application months later. IOW, it's not something you do only out of consideration for other people ... there can be a selfish motive! :*)