PDA

View Full Version : Use VBA to add text from a cell to an existing freeform shape

cranejc64
09-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Hello,

Rather new to VBA, using Excel 2007.. found help and was able to change a freeform shape's color to red, green, or yellow based on a cell value (excerpt of code below). Now I'd like to add a character from a cell on one sheet into the freeform shape on another sheet. So on sheet 1 I have the data, sheet 2 is a group of shapes. If cell sheet1!B2 has a "C" in it, I'd like to add that within freeform 1, in 14 pitch, bold, black font.

I run this from Sheet2 and depending on the value of Sheet1!A2 the color of freeform 1 changes. What do I need to add to get the text as above to work?

Sub ColorScribble()
ActiveSheet.Shapes("freeform 1").Select
If Range("sheet1!A2").Value = 1 Then
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 204, 0)
Selection.ShapeRange.Line.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(0, 0, 0)
ElseIf Range("sheet1!A2").Value = 2 Then
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 255, 0)
ElseIf Range("sheet1!A2").Value = 3 Then
Selection.ShapeRange.Fill.ForeColor.RGB = RGB(255, 0, 0)
End If
End Sub

Much less important (let me know if I should post seperately), is there a way to color a freeform shape with the fill effect that transitions horizontally from say yellow to red, and back to yellow? I didn't see this as a fill option in excel, so may only be powerpoint, but thought maybe it could be done in VBA??

Thank you for any help you can provide.
John

cranejc64
09-23-2010, 10:16 AM
I got the below working by adding a text box, but would still rather have the text entered into a freeform shape (but get errors when I try the below with a freeform- Run-time Error '1004'.. unable to get the Characters property of the Drawing class).

ActiveSheet.Shapes("textbox 39").Select
Selection.Characters.Text = Range("Sheet1!B2").Value
Selection.Characters.Font.Name = "Ariel"
Selection.Characters.Font.Size = 14
Selection.Characters.Font.Color = vbBlack

Can anyone help? Is it possible to enter txt into a freeform with VB?

Thank you
John