PDA

View Full Version : How can I set one field to return data into another field?

candie213
09-23-2010, 09:06 AM
How can I set one field to return data into another field?

Background: I am working to expand a POS system I created. Currently, the user adds a new product line by line in the order detail table by way of combo box.

I would like to create a product field in the order extender table on a form that can handle multiple scans of a product (each scan overwriting the last scan) and add it one by one to the order detail table.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

hansup
09-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Create a form based on the order extender table. Add a subform based on the order detail table. Use your product field as the link master/child field between the parent form and the subform.

Then each new record inserted in the subform will automatically "inherit" the product field value from the current record in the parent form.

candie213
09-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Create a form based on the order extender table. Add a subform based on the order detail table. Use your product field as the link master/child field between the parent form and the subform.

Then each new record inserted in the subform will automatically "inherit" the product field value from the current record in the parent form.

Will this work with multiple products?

hansup
09-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Will this work with multiple products?Sorry, I don't understand what you're asking now. Can you elaborate?

candie213
09-23-2010, 01:37 PM
i basically want it to work like a scanner at walmart. I want to be able to scan into a field and create a new order detail record each time i scan.

Or is it possible to program a field (product code) once it has been updated (by scanning a barcode) to create a new record and go to the same field (product code) again to be scanned.

hansup
09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
i basically want it to work like a scanner at walmart. I want to be able to scan into a field and create a new order detail record each time i scan.

Or is it possible to program a field (product code) once it has been updated (by scanning a barcode) to create a new record and go to the same field (product code) again to be scanned.Nuts. I've never worked with a scanning application. I can't match your description to anything I understand. I hoped the form/subform suggestion might be useful; sorry that it was not. :(

candie213
09-30-2010, 07:23 AM
No, problem...thanks for your help!