PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Can not open excel ss

Tenspeed39355
06-03-2005, 07:00 AM
A friend just called and said he has an excel ss that he can not open.
He has a lot of data in the ss. Is there a way to open the ss so he can get to the data?
Thanks
Max

BlueCactus
06-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi Tenspeed,

You're going to have to give a lot more information if you want any real help. Is there a known reason for why it won't open? What does Excel tell your friend when they try to open the document? What version of Excel is your friend using? What version was the spreadsheet created on? Anything unusual about the spreadsheet? Their spreadsheet or someone else's that got e-mailed to them? How big is the file? Etc....

BC

Whitney2002
06-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Hello Blue Catus. I am the friend that Tenspeed was inquiring about.
I am running Windows XP with the excel that comes with it.
I am also using xlq data retrieval.

As I turned my computer on my Webroot spy sweeper caused an error in trying to open. I am not sure what the error stated, but I clicked on "ok" and it minimized itself down in the lower task bar.

While I first tried to open the ss (11 megs) I clicked onto the xlw icon to pause the data retrievals. This caused a Microsoft Excel error..."Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. I clicked the box "don't send".

I could see where the dat was trying to be saved but it didn't get saved. Now when I try to open the file I get an error message stating The document has caused a serious error when you last tried to open it. Do you still want to open it. I click "yes"

A Microsoft Excel message comes up stating "Unable to read file" I click this twice and it wants to load but stops very quickly with the Microsoft Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. In the lower task bar it states that it is trying to recovery data from the SS. Then there is 10 or 15 little blue boxes. But nothing else nothing happens.

Any more information I can give you please let me know. You may e mail me direct if you like. whitnlavada@cox.net