PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Security issue

Mr Doubtfire
06-04-2005, 07:33 AM
I have successfully written/run my application for reports using Excel object WITHIN my personal IIS, which might NOT be calling for extra security/permissions.
BUT when I install on the server (server/client relationship), I am always getting a "denied" error on the line that creating the Excel object.
When I am using the Administrator as logon user on the server, I am OK to run it smoothly.
Does anyone have the same situation I am having?
I have given the IUSR_servername "Full" permissions to ASP page, "Excel" (for everyone to execute), database object (for everyone Full permission).
Please comment.
:banghead:

EricM
06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
I have successfully written/run my application for reports using Excel object WITHIN my personal IIS, which might NOT be calling for extra security/permissions.
BUT when I install on the server (server/client relationship), I am always getting a "denied" error on the line that creating the Excel object.
When I am using the Administrator as logon user on the server, I am OK to run it smoothly.
Does anyone have the same situation I am having?
I have given the IUSR_servername "Full" permissions to ASP page, "Excel" (for everyone to execute), database object (for everyone Full permission).
Please comment.
:banghead:

What about the directory the file is getting created in? Does your iusr_servername have permissions to create in that directory?

Mr Doubtfire
06-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Yes, sorry for not mentioning that. (it is opened for "everyone"). You're a detailed person.

Thanks.

EricM
06-06-2005, 06:22 AM
Can you be more specific on the denied message then? If i am assuming your error might be like this.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied.

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer, choose "Properties" and select the Security (http://forums.aspfree.com/archive/t-28327/Create-Excel-Application-in-ASPNET-using-C#) tab. Click "Add" to add the appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes for the desired access.

Or you can follow this link which sounds like your problem.
http://forums.devarticles.com/archive/t-5801/Permission-denied-when-access-excel-obj
note: These were found on the web

Mr Doubtfire
06-06-2005, 06:29 AM
<LI>Error Type:
Microsoft JScript runtime (0x800A0046)
Permission denied
/shiplog/shiplog.asp, line 163This is the error.
Thanks.

EricM
06-08-2005, 11:04 AM
have you checked the links above to see if this solved your issue?

Mr Doubtfire
06-15-2005, 06:36 PM
I have decided to switch from Excel to text file due to the reason NOT to change any domain settings.

Unfortunately, I have the same problem although the folder/file (.txt) on the server have the permissions assigned to IUSR_servername with Full Control.
Not an Excel object, still the right place with the right person to answer my question!?
Thanks anyway for ALL of you.