PDA

View Full Version : Excel Export to Webpage Form Fields

goshjosh5
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi I am a new user here, and I'm also new to VBA in general. I'm pretty quick picking things up and trying to figure out VBA in general, and really I guess I'm just looking for a prod in the right direction. My end goal solution will be to be able to take, upon an action, values in cells in an excel workbook and have them automatically filled into specific web page forms. For example, the cell A1 would be the last name Johnson, and I'd want this filled into the "Last Name" text field on www . randomforms . com(obviously these are false values for example purposes only). Am I looking for Excel VBA or something created in VB studio or what? Any information would be helpful, because I'll just be doing trial-and-error testing and trying to figure it out until then. I've tried looking through these forums but they're all over my head, so I was wondering if I could get some beginner tips in the right direction. Thanks for anything you can offer!

Jan Karel Pieterse
11-16-2010, 04:15 AM
AMongst other things, the best solution depends on what the site(s) in question have to offer. If -for example- the site has webservices, you could use VBA to send a request and receive the resulting XML. A bit of VBA can then dissect the XML to extract the information you need.

OTOH, if the website sends the form fields to its server inside a URL (like Google does), you can use webqueries with parameters (see www.jkp-ads.com/articles/webquery.asp (http://www.jkp-ads.com/articles/webquery.asp)).

goshjosh5
01-02-2013, 11:20 PM
I'm still looking for a solution to this problem and hilariously found my own post in my search for solutions. I apparently completely forgot about this a few years ago (didnt even know I was a member of this forum) so I apologize for that.

In the last few years what I've developed in spare time is a functioning Excel doc that uses macros to call the program iMacros which sends the input from the excel doc to the websites and retrieves info back to the excel doc. Imacros is limited though and can get frustrating (on some sites for example I'm reduced to using x-y-coordinate-type mouse click simulations to click buttons etc.), plus I've given up accessing some sites that I'd really like to because imacros cant seem to function with them, and I'm hoping there is a more efficient solution.

Jan, is there any way I could tell what the sites "have to offer" in order to answer your question? They are secure sites that require licensed logins so unfortunately I cant just link them directly.