PDA

View Full Version : creating a macro on a button to search for a file

wedd
11-17-2010, 09:27 AM
:friends: I was wondering if it was possible to create a macro to a button using the file \\Cluster2\Dept (file://\\Cluster2\Dept) Data\Migration Data\NOMSALES.csv as a source and from that create a csv file that displayed sample data from the file \\Cluster2\Dept (file://\\Cluster2\Dept) Data\Migration Data\NOMSALES Output.csv. In other words instead of the user going through a directory to open a file I would like the user to click on a button within a workbook and the data within the later file will automatically populate on the spreadsheet. Can this be done? If so what code can be written in a macro for this to be done?

Also i would like to be an expert at vba access, excel and macros. Do you know of any really good books, websites and online courses where I can learn about producing complex macros to ideally produce high level functions?

Thanks for your contributions:friends:

Bob Phillips
11-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Get your company to send you on a VBA course, then practice, practice, practice.

wedd
11-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I work freelance...

wedd
11-17-2010, 09:44 AM
but you right about practise practise..VBA is such a wide area

wedd
11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Would you know of any in-depth online courses?

Bob Phillips
11-17-2010, 10:31 AM
The only good ones I know are the ones I do :)

Seriously, I have looked at various course summaries, and they usually seem LCD type of stuff, aimed at getting various levels to a common, usually low, level of achievement. I think you want something more targetted, something that will show you more than just the basics (that you can probably get from t'interweb anyway).

wedd
11-17-2010, 10:53 AM
your right...I've invested a bit on dvd's but the training only show you basic things like message boxes etc...whereas when I go into the industry my clients ask me to perform macros to search for files with a click of button...I almost look like a fish out of water - literally.lol I seriously would like to become a serious vba guru...i have a few books but those books only cover the surface...I find it so interesting when I consider a project that requires a high level of vba knowlegde but the courses on offer not that much..hence why i visit this forum and get advise from people who know what they are talking about

Bob Phillips
11-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Actually, VBA knowledge is a minor consideration, because VBA is Basic, and Basic is basic, there really is not much too it. Far more important is understanding the host object model, and being able to understand business requirements and translate these into a solution.

wedd
11-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Yes, that's true!