PDA

View Full Version : Web query and 'splash' screen

Glaswegian
11-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Hi

I have a workbook that retrieves information from about 12 sites and consolidates the data in a table. This has worked perfectly well for the last 6 months or so.

The company has now decided to introduce a 'splash' screen when employees access the internet. This is a simple page that advises the type of sites that are restricted and of the company policy regarding internet access etc. The only way past this screen is to click on a button - "I have read and agree blah blah" - however this causes my workbook to crash.

Is there any way I can deal with the splash page in the code? Using the Enter key does not work - the page seems to be set up in such a way that users must use their mouse to click the button.

I appreciate that I may have to go to our IT department and see if there is any way round this but I suspect the answer will be 'No'. Before I do that I'd therefore like to explore any possible way to clear the splash screen using code.

Thanks.

Shred Dude
11-24-2010, 08:46 AM
It sounds like you're using Web Queries from within a workbook?

Or are you using some VBA to automate Internet Explorer?

Either of those approaches would likely trigger the splash screen.

Can you initiate a call to the web via a XMLHTTP request and avoid the company's splash screen?

Glaswegian
11-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's a Web Query from within a workbook. Unfortunately, the company is still using IE6...

I'm not terribly familiar with web queries but I shall investigate your suggestion.