PDA

View Full Version : Outlook ItemSend Proc

MWE
06-06-2005, 07:27 AM
I posted this problem on several (other) forums several months ago but no one has been able to provide an explanation.

I wanted to write a proc that would examine all outgoing messages for some particular ?stuff?. I started with the procedure Application_ItemSend (ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean), wrote the relevant code and did some testing. The results were inconsistent. So I simplified things with the following

Private Sub Application_ItemSend(ByVal Item As Object, Cancel As Boolean)
'
'
MsgBox "Application_ItemSend procedure"
Cancel = False

End Sub

and expected to see the MsgBox message for every outgoing message. But that did not happen. I discovered that the procedure was not called for most outgoing messages and seemed to be called only for replies to MSExchange users or users where I explicitly indicated that they were to receive email in Rich Text format.

I am presenlty running Outlook2000 under WinXP. I have tried the same approach on another computer running Win2K and Outlook2000 (from the same CD) and the results are similar. Any ideas?

Killian
06-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Curious...
I can't replicate this. I tested sending to a Lotus Domino server with no issues, tho I'm running OL2003 so it may be a fixed bug (!?)
The only (somewhat obscure) suggestion is that since the name check is just about the only thing that happens before the Send event fires, you could try using full web mail addresses.
Unless of course, you already are :dunno

MOS MASTER
06-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Hi Mark & Killian, :yes

Like Killian I'm not able to replicate the problem over here? Tried on XP and 2003 Office.

I have 2000 at home so if I don't forget it I'll give it a try.

It's of course posible that this is a bug. So hence the question: is your Office fully up to date? (All the latest hotfixes and SP's)

Later..:whistle:

MWE
06-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi Mark & Killian, :yes

Like Killian I'm not able to replicate the problem over here? Tried on XP and 2003 Office.

I have 2000 at home so if I don't forget it I'll give it a try.

It's of course posible that this is a bug. So hence the question: is your Office fully up to date? (All the latest hotfixes and SP's)

Later..:whistle:
it will be interesting to see if you encounter similar problems. One of the people with whom I have exchanged a few messages (at least 6 months ago) is Sue Mosher who seems to be a real expert on Outlook ... http://www.outlookcode.com/

I have done a modest amount of VBA programming for Outlook and this is the only significant problem/bug I have encountered.

re latest fixes and SP's: I have mixed feelings about the "fixes" and such for MS Office. My experience is that each fix may fix certain problems (which never bothered me), but also spawn new problems that do bother me. I have reloaded MSOffice2000 several times and then installed only limited fixes in an attempt to find some combination that ran well. My conclusion is that for either Win2K or WinXP, the best version of Office2K is SP1 with no additional fixes. My biggest gripe is the problems the recent fixes create re the embedded Help utilities. With SP1, Help works virtually all the time. As I upgrade and "fix" things, the Help utilities become more and more erratic. With all recommended upgrades, Help does not work at all:banghead:.

MOS MASTER
06-06-2005, 01:57 PM
it will be interesting to see if you encounter similar problems. One of the people with whom I have exchanged a few messages (at least 6 months ago) is Sue Mosher who seems to be a real expert on Outlook ... http://www.outlookcode.com/.
I agree that a hotfix can cause as much problems as it solves. But I do it any way because they give more protection aswell. (Priority issue now days)

Sue is one of the GREATEST Outlook coders I know of. And I'm not worthy to stand in here shadow! :bow:

So if she doesn't know a workarround for your problem, then its nearly imposible for me to do so...(But I'll do my best)

I'll report back. :whistle:

MWE
06-06-2005, 04:13 PM
I agree that a hotfix can cause as much problems as it solves. But I do it any way because they give more protection aswell. (Priority issue now days)

Sue is one of the GREATEST Outlook coders I know of. And I'm not worthy to stand in here shadow! :bow:

So if she doesn't know a workarround for your problem, then its nearly imposible for me to do so...(But I'll do my best)

I'll report back. :whistle:
Joost: Sue did provide a few suggestions, but admitted that it had her baffled. And it may be true that her Outlook coding skills are a lot better than yours (and certainly better than mine). But the funny thing about this stuff is how synergistic it all is. Everyone gets better as we share ideas and thoughts.:friends: Even the best learn something new every day.:thumb

MOS MASTER
06-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Joost: Sue did provide a few suggestions, but admitted that it had her baffled. And it may be true that her Outlook coding skills are a lot better than yours (and certainly better than mine). But the funny thing about this stuff is how synergistic it all is. Everyone gets better as we share ideas and thoughts.:friends: Even the best learn something new every day.:thumb
Yes thank god we do...this is what the added value is for all of us! :friends:

I did a quick test in 2000 yesterday (10 mails) no results yet but had little time. Will do a mas mail dump soon.

Let you no...:whistle: