PDA

View Full Version : Inserting pictures and the path.

Alex550
12-06-2010, 12:12 PM
I need a function that inserts a picture, and inserts the path the picture came from in a different cell.

Any Ideas?

Alex

Zack Barresse
12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
Hi there,

Not sure, but these may help:

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493132
http://forums.techguy.org/business-applications/436850-inserting-photo-stay-within-cell.html

They both require the file path name to be in the cell already. Can you clarify what it is you are after? I'm not understanding your request. Do you already have a picture, or a file path?

Alex550
12-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I have a sheet with data but no pictures. the users need to add pictures. the sheet is created on an IBM system i. it goes to the users desktop full of data but no pictures, i need the users to add the pictures and i need the path to go back to system i. this was any other users who download the XL get the pictures.

this is why i need the path and the picture, the picture is for the current user, with the path i can get the same images for any future users XL's

there will be seven fields that makeup the unique key to each different XL, each XL will have different pictures

Zack Barresse
12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying. I think "XL" means "Excel". Please explain in more detail - and more grammar (no offense). What I'm sort of understanding is you have a file you want to keep on the server, which users will access. You want some sort of script that will look at the pictures on their desktop and put those into an Excel worksheet, along with the full path in another cell. I'm not sure what you would want to do with it after that though. Is that right?

Alex550
12-07-2010, 12:14 PM
First i would thank you for tring to help, no offence taken:friends:

The images exist in a folder on a shared drive.

Ok step by step, and the name for what is going on, is called creating a spec package.

1. Enter some information that identifies a garment.. The season it will be sold in, its fabric, it color etc...
2. That all will be sent from a IBM system i to an Excel sheet on the users desktop.
3. In the Excel sheet the user will select an image from the share and bring it into the sheet, up to four images.
4. Get the path to the image into a cell on the sheet.
5. Additional information about the garment will be entered into the Excel
6. When they are done the Excel will go back up to system i, in the data base I will save all the information the users added to the Excel as well as the path of the image.

That is the first teams input into formally specifying a garments construction; they are called designers. They may download the created package and change it. Once they are done, the package goes to the second team.

The second team starts there process; they are called technical designers. They download all the information into a totally different Excel format.

1. Select the garment started by team 1.
2. Download al the text as well as the path(s) to the image(s) to Excel.
3. Using VBA format the sheet specific to there job function and insert the images.
4. They will add additional information and more images.
5. Upload all information back to system i along with any additional paths for images.

That is the second teams input into formally specifying a garments construction. They may download the created package and change it. once they are done, the package goes to the third team, they are called production.

The third team starts there process. They download all the information into a totally different Excel format.

1. Select the garment enhanced by team 2.
2. Download al the text as well as the path(s) to the image(s) to Excel.
3. Using VBA format the sheet specific to there job function and insert the images.
4. They will add additional information and more images.
5. Upload all information back to system i along with any additional paths for images.

That is the third teams input into formally specifying a garments construction. They may download the created package and change it. at this point a decision is made as to will we actually market the garment. If yes a fourth Excel with all the images will be sent to the factory.

i hope this is clear, thanks again for helping.

Alex