PDA

View Full Version : Grouping cells so that they can be sorted together in excel

Panda
12-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Hi All,

I have a spreadsheet (attached) that is split into two sections. Towards the top is a list of Part numbers and components detailing how many of each component is needed in order to complete the unit/product. Any components that are not required are labeled as 'NF' for Not Fitted.

The lower half to the spreadsheet is entitled 'Recovery Plan' which also contains a list of part numbers and components which are exactly the same as above. However this section is where the user (me) enters in where I would like the components in stock to be allocated. The cells wll change colour depedning on whether I have entered enough components to complete the unit. All the grey cells are where that particualr component is not fitted to that particular unit.

The problem I have is when I come to sort the data in ascending order (so that I can easily see which units are nearly complete) cells containing the conditional formating move as well!!! Is there a way of locking the cells so that they can be sorted together?

Or have I gone about this the wrong way...and is there a way I can 'shuffle' the units once I have allocated components to them?

Can anybody help me?

Thanks

Phil