PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Getting one cell to stay on top of all sheets

Shrout1
06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Is there some way to "lock" a cell into it's place on sheet so that it will permanently stay in that position across all the other sheets?

I.E. let's say I create column labels in Sheet1 and I want them to automatically populate their same cells on Sheet2 and Sheet3.

Also, I need these cells to override the formatting in the sheets they are populating and retain the formatting they had on the first page.

I'm also hoping for a way to do this without a macro, but a simple macro would work too.

Thanks!

MWE
06-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Is there some way to "lock" a cell into it's place on sheet so that it will permanently stay in that position across all the other sheets?

I.E. let's say I create column labels in Sheet1 and I want them to automatically populate their same cells on Sheet2 and Sheet3.

Also, I need these cells to override the formatting in the sheets they are populating and retain the formatting they had on the first page.

I'm also hoping for a way to do this without a macro, but a simple macro would work too.

Thanks!
If I interpret your need correctly, you want to have the same information in the same cells on multiple sheets. On a one-time basis, you could select all sheets of interest and then whatever you do to the active sheet will be done to all other sheets including explicitily defined formatting (but non active sheets will not inherit the "old" format of the active sheet). If you then select one of the just modified sheets and change a value in one of the recently modified cells, that change will not be reflected in the other sheets.

If you have already created the "parent sheet" and then want the child sheets to be "the same" for the cells of interest, I am not sure how that could be done without a macro (ignoring the obvious case of copying and pasting to each target sheet). My approach to such a macro would be to capture the active window selection and the selected sheets and then past the selection to each of the selected sheets. The degree to which you also copy formatting would depend on what you really want to do. Copying cell format would be the first step. Copying relevant row and column formatting might also be desired.

Synchronizing values on the various sheets, i.e., if a value is changed on the parent sheet, the values change on the child sheets is a basic capability of Excel (PasteLink and similar methods)

Shrout1
06-09-2005, 07:07 AM
Thank you very much for your response; as it turns out, a similar thing can be accomplished through "Header and Footer" and the "Sheet" tab. One of the options is, "Rows to repeat at top"

While it doesn't actually move the data to the other sheets, it does repeat them throughout the sheets on top of all pages when you print - quite helpful in our situation.

Thank you very much though!

MWE
06-09-2005, 03:15 PM
Thank you very much for your response; as it turns out, a similar thing can be accomplished through "Header and Footer" and the "Sheet" tab. One of the options is, "Rows to repeat at top"

While it doesn't actually move the data to the other sheets, it does repeat them throughout the sheets on top of all pages when you print - quite helpful in our situation.

Thank you very much though!
It is good that you were able to find something that accomplished your needs, but it does not seem to me that the methods you discovered will solve the problems you originally outlined. But if it works, ...:thumb