PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Design Time Vs Run Time

shrivallabha
12-30-2010, 08:18 AM
I have attached a file which has a small application built for ease of inputting and general status review. I added to ActiveX controls through Additional Controls option on VBE Controls Toolbar.
1. Calendar
2. Treeview (Courtesy: Ken Puls and Colo's website)

I thought I had tested it enough. We have a small group of friends where we share information. I sent the file to them. And one of the guys had this error:
Object Not Found.

The ActiveX Controls were NOT added on his toolbox. To my dismay and surprise, I could find TreeView Control in the library but Calendar Control was not at all available.

So my questions are:
1. For design time we need these controls added on the toolbar but when we are running the application i.e. at runtime, it is not necessary to have these controls added on user's toolbar. Am I right in this assumption?

2. We all use Excel 2003 (None of them is pirated). Is it possible that the control may or may not be present? What do I need to check?

And finally, this is purely pastime (only one thing: I've built this for my wife so that I could justify that I at least do something worthwhile on the PC). So I am ready to wait for all answers and suggestions. And I must say, all the help on this forum has been very good.

shrivallabha
01-10-2011, 06:23 AM
Bump!
Let me rephrase the question:
If a person designs a userform with additional ActiveX controls (Calendar and Treeview in my case), will it work smoothly on all computers having the same Office Excel Version as it was designed on (2003 in this case)?
Or
Do I need to do some additional settings on other machines.

Jan Karel Pieterse
01-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Short answer: no.
The calender control ships with MS Access so is not part of all Office installations.
Generally speaking, if you want your file to work everywhere, avoid adding ActiveX external controls like the plague.

shrivallabha
01-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Thank you for your kind reply and advice. That sums it up for me. I learned one more aspect.

As I know, on this person's PC Office-standard (without MS-Access) is available while others have Office - Professional (with MS-Access).

Now the only thing that bothers me is : What best alternative I should use for picking up dates?

GTO
01-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Hello Shrivallabha,

You might consider including code/controls in the userform to create a calendar. Here are a couple of examples from the KB.

Scalable Calendar
Userform Calendar Control

Hope that helps,

Mark

Cowlers
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
You could provide the one member of your team who does not have the calendar control with it so that he/she can install it on their machine.

If you do a search for the calendar control you should be able to download it. Only word of warning is that depending on the version of windows they are running there are different methods of registering controls!

Hope this helps,

Dan

Jan Karel Pieterse
01-10-2011, 09:42 AM
See:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41788

shrivallabha
01-11-2011, 02:07 AM
Thank you all for your help and time. :bow: