PDA

View Full Version : Using a loop and time delay

Tenspeed39355
01-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Hi guys Well I am back again with another project.
I am trying to set up an Excel program. The following is what I would like to accomplish with your help. Using Excel I have Column A3:A650 with stock symbols.
I would like to take each symbol and one at a time copy and paste each symbol to $D$1, wait five (5) seconds and the move the next symbol in Column A to $D$1 and so on until
the program reaches the last one in column A at which the program will stop. I am sending you a short list of the symbols for you to test. The last time I had a problem you guys hit the nail on the head and helped me out of a bind. Again thanks for any help with this.

ACG

ADX

AFB

AGC

AGD

AKP

AOD

APB

APF

APX

ARK

ASA

ASG

ASP

AVK

AWF

AWP

AYN

BAF

BBF

BBK

Bob Phillips
01-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Public Sub ProcessData()
Dim Lastrow As Long
Dim i As Long

With ActiveSheet

Lastrow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To Lastrow 'Lastrow to 1 Step -1

.Cells(i, "A").Copy .Cells(i, "D")
Application.Wait Now() + TimeSerial(0, 0, 5)
Next i
End With
End Sub

Tenspeed39355
01-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for your super quick reply. I ran the macro and found there needs to
be one change. When the symbols move to D the next symbol is entered in D3
the next symbol is entered in D4 and so on. I need for ALL THE SYMBOLS to remain
in $D$1. Can you make that change? It should go like this. The first symbol in entered
in $D$1, it remains there for the three seconds. The next symbol is then entered in
$D$1 and it remains there for three seconds and so on. Can you make that change?
Thanks
Max

Sean.DiSanti
01-08-2011, 08:53 PM
another way to skin the cat

Public Sub ProcessData()
x = 1
While ActiveSheet.Range("a" & x).Formula <> ""
ActiveSheet.Range("d1").Formula = ActiveSheet.Range("a" & x).Formula
ltime = Timer()
While Timer() - ltime < 5
DoEvents
Wend
x = x + 1
Wend
End Sub

***edit*** and you changed your time constraint in your second post, if you want 3 seconds instead of 5, just change the 5 to a 3

Bob Phillips
01-09-2011, 06:35 AM
Public Sub ProcessData()
Dim Lastrow As Long
Dim i As Long

With ActiveSheet

Lastrow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To Lastrow 'Lastrow to 1 Step -1

.Cells(i, "A").Copy .Range("D1")
Application.Wait Now() + TimeSerial(0, 0, 5)
Next i
End With
End Sub

Tenspeed39355
01-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Hi Mr. Lord of VBAX. lol. I want to thank you again for your time with this. The last post
was just right on the money. With your data I can now sit back and sip a cup of coffee and watch the data flow. I used VLookup to search in a number of my ss to bring back
data showing which Closed End funds make my screens. I have around 15 peices of data that show if a fund is looking like something I would invest in. Before using your Loop program I would have to enter the symbol for each fund I wanted to look at.
I think that the time needs to be a little longer so I can see all the data so I am going to make the five (5) seconds to a larger number, around seven. I can do that with no problems. Again THANKS. I will rate this post ten (10) stars.
Max