PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Automatically index document?

vonpookie
06-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Hellooo! ::wave::

I've got a Word "issue/question" that has been posed to me that I have no clue about. This is it in a nutshell:

We will need to create an Index for [a] manuscript. I see that there is a tool in Microsoft Word that will assist in manually creating an index (you have to go thru and select the words, terms, concepts that you want in the index). Do you know if there is a tool or program that will look through a document and pull out often used or unique words and phrases automatically?

The only thing I could think of was that there is possibly a macro or addin floating around somewhere that can already do this. Unfortunately, I don't really know Word all that well (other than just editing/formatting, etc) and have never even created an index in it to begin with.

So I have no idea even where to begin writing or looking for anything...any suggestions on what could be done here? :)

MOS MASTER
06-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Hi vonpookie, :yes

Wel actually you don't have to build anything youreself! (That's not entirly true) :rofl:

Word has this all build in and you can create a Concordance file to 'auto' index the Word document.

Read all about indexing with such a file at:
http://www.rdg.ac.uk/ITS/info/training/notes/word/indexing/#7

Basicaly you build a document with a two column table with the Word's to be indexed by Word on the left and the variations in the right column.

Have Word proces this list and your done.

Bottomline you will always have to decide youreself which Words are worth indexing and which are not. (There's no computer in the World who could do that for you without telling it first what you find worthy of indexing) :rotlaugh:

Good Luck! :whistle:

vonpookie
06-09-2005, 10:13 AM
I actually found that in the help files this morning, but I'm not sure that's quite what they're looking for. Doesn't seem they have much of a choice, though.

Thanks anyway :)

MOS MASTER
06-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I actually found that in the help files this morning, but I'm not sure that's quite what they're looking for. Doesn't seem they have much of a choice, though.

Thanks anyway :)
Well Ok...you're welcome but:

Could you explain a bit better then what they are looking for? You will always have to design criteria which words need indexing and which do not..hence the concordance file.....

Have you any idea on deciding which words are to be indexed and which aren't? :yes

MOS MASTER
06-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Hi, :yes

Was surfing for you and I've found this:
http://www.editorium.com/dexter.htm

It's a free trial Word addin so perhaps you can try it and maybe its what you're looking for. :whistle:

vonpookie
06-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Well Ok...you're welcome but:

Could you explain a bit better then what they are looking for? You will always have to design criteria which words need indexing and which do not..hence the concordance file.....

Have you any idea on deciding which words are to be indexed and which aren't? :yes

Can't really explain better, no. Unfortunately, this is a rather roundabout question.Someone at my husband's office posed the original question to him in an email, and then he emailed me asking if I knew of anything that could do it.

So what you see here is all I really know about it myself ::shrug::

MOS MASTER
06-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Well I've been looking at the addin (The link I posted) and I think that will do exactly what you want.

So I think you should try it...:yes

vonpookie
06-09-2005, 10:59 AM
I just got a chance to check out that link myself--I'll pass it along (and hopefully they'll stop asking *me* about it ;) )

MOS MASTER
06-09-2005, 11:01 AM
I just got a chance to check out that link myself--I'll pass it along (and hopefully they'll stop asking *me* about it ;) )
Let's hope so...you're welcome! :yes