PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand how to give a template to another user I created.

will1128
01-21-2011, 10:37 AM
I never resolved this problem beforehand and am now trying to assist someone else in resolving it. :dunno

If you create a Word-Macro Enabled template, how do you distribute it to users so the macros runs and the user can only fill in the form fields?

Thanks

will1128
01-21-2011, 10:47 AM
I realized I probably should have made this more specific.

I have a .dot file here:

C:\Documents and Settings\....\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

It has several text form fields.

In the code for This Document I have

Private Sub Document_New
Call macro_day
Call Macro_Month
Call Macro_Yr
Call Macro_ConsultantName
End Sub

If I want any user to use the template, how do I distribute a macro-enabled template for Word 2003?

Tinbendr
01-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Nothing special; just send it to them.

BUT make sure they store the file in the template directory. Then they have to start it with File->New. (They can double-click on it, and it should startup correctly, but train them this way and there is less of a chance they will open the file for editting.)

will1128
01-21-2011, 11:22 AM
I had saved the template with Restricted formatting and said to only allow users to fill in the form fields. However, even when I try to go File > New with the macro-enabled template I lose the protection.

Why and how do I resolve it?

Tinbendr
01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Hmm, do you have an unprotect in your code somewhere?

It shouldn't unprotect for no reason.

mdmackillop
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Could it be their macro security level is set to High?

fumei
01-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Templates do not have to be in the templates folder. In fact, you can create a new document from a template in an email message but "opening" it.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

You can save the template file in any folder, and double click it, but this also is not recommended, as there is, as Tinbendr mentions, the chance they will open it, versus cloning from it.

The security level is possibly the issue, but I wonder about losing the protection. This should not be the case unless there is some unprotecting code.