PDA

View Full Version : using conditional formatting

Tenspeed39355
02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
What is the formula I need when using conditional formatting?
I have a number of symbols in column A. While doing a loop at times one of the symbols in column A will appear at J27. When that happens I would like the background in matching symbol in column A to turn green. Thanks for any help on this one
I have everything else working just fine. Just coloring the background.
Thanks
Max

IBihy
02-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Max,
you are doing what? Sorry, I don't quite catch what you mean by "symbols". Is it text? And are you planning to use formulas or VBA?

Puzzled,
Isabella

Tenspeed39355
02-08-2011, 06:04 PM
IBihy Thanks for the reply. What I am refering to is stock symbols in column A.
Lets say there are 300 stock symbols in column A. When a stock symbol appears in
J27 I need the cell with what is in J27 to look over in column A find the same symbol
and color the cell green. NOTE: I want the cell with the green color to remain green
when the new stock symbol appears in J27 I need to look over in column A again and find the new symbol and color that cell green also. At the end there might be ten cells
with green backgrounds. Thanks for any help on this one. I have been able to get the program to work with only one cell at a time.
Max

mancubus
02-08-2011, 11:54 PM
select range in col A to be conditional formatted. use the following formula:

=COUNTIF(D1:Z500,A1)>0

exp:
look for col A value in Range(D1:Z500), if at least one match is found, conditional format column A.

Tenspeed39355
02-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Mancubus Thanks for the help. I have been busy working on some other things is
the reason I have not posted. I will rate this thread.

Tenspeed39355
02-12-2011, 09:21 AM
I do have one other project i need some help with. When using the Loop in Excel I have
the results in J27. The result is a stock symbol. The symbol stays there for three seconds because of the timer. This gives me time to copy the symbol to paper before it goes away and the next symbol appears. Is there a way to copy the symbol in J27 to J28? When the next symbol appears in J27 it will be copied to J29 etc untill the Loop
has run its course? This would help a lot. I could just sit back and sip on some coffeeLOL.
Thanks
Max

Bob Phillips
02-13-2011, 03:13 AM
select range in col A to be conditional formatted. use the following formula:

=COUNTIF(D1:Z500,A1)>0

exp:
look for col A value in Range(D1:Z500), if at least one match is found, conditional format column A.

The first range should be absolute, rows at least, preferably rows and columns

Bob Phillips
02-13-2011, 03:14 AM
I do have one other project i need some help with. When using the Loop in Excel I have
the results in J27. The result is a stock symbol. The symbol stays there for three seconds because of the timer. This gives me time to copy the symbol to paper before it goes away and the next symbol appears. Is there a way to copy the symbol in J27 to J28? When the next symbol appears in J27 it will be copied to J29 etc untill the Loop
has run its course? This would help a lot. I could just sit back and sip on some coffeeLOL.
Thanks
Max

How does the value get into J27?

Tenspeed39355
02-13-2011, 08:37 AM
The symbol in J27 using IF AND command. If the symbol passes all the screens
I refer to D1 which is copied from all the symbols in column A. When running the
screens sometimes there is no symbol in J27 due to the fact the symbol did not pass
all the screens. What I am after is IF a symbol appears in J27 I want that symbol put
in J28. When the nest symbol appears in J27 I want it put in J29 untill the LOOP has finished. Can this be done? If so THANKS as that will save me the trouble of copying
the symbols as they come up. I love to watch the LOOP go thru all the symbols and the other command I use is VLookup to retreive all the data from other ss I have.
Max

mdmackillop
02-13-2011, 10:03 AM
A simplified example, The code you need is something like this I think.
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Application.EnableEvents = False
If Target.Address = "$E$7" Then
If Target <> "" Then Target.Insert xlDown
Target.Offset(1) = Target
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub