PDA

View Full Version : Run-time error '13' on comparing arrays help needed

j.smith1981
02-09-2011, 03:20 AM
I keep getting the above error when running this code, can someone help please?

I will explain what it is I am trying to do, just going over old theory as it where.

I am wanting to say set a specific set of data, which going by the below code is going to be a multi dimension array, hence the col 7 of productsArray, which is where the categories is, ok?

We have say:
category1
category1
category2
category2

If it finds a value in the first row, of column 7 it checks to see if a value exists already in categoriesUnique if it doesnt add to categoriesUnique as a new row, if it does, exit the loop and go down to the next row of productsArray and keep going.

But it keeps coming up with:

Run-time error '13':
Type mismatch

This occurs when it checks the value of productsArray on row 3, as the categoriesCount value reaches 3, it sparks up with that error.

Any helps appreciated,
Jeremy.

Dim categoriesCount As Long
Dim productsArray As Variant

Dim categoriesUniqueCount As Long
ReDim categoriesUnique(1 To 1)

'productsArray

productsArray = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Value

For categoriesCount = LBound(productsArray) To UBound(productsArray)

If Len(productsArray(categoriesCount, 7)) > 0 Then

'do whatever here
For categoriesUniqueCount = LBound(categoriesUnique) To UBound(categoriesUnique)

If categoriesUnique(categoriesUniqueCount) = productsArray(categoriesCount, 7) Then

Exit For

Else

'add to the array?

categoriesUnique(UBound(categoriesUnique)) = Array(productsArray(categoriesCount, 7))
'need to add 1 to the redmimed array:
ReDim Preserve categoriesUnique(1 To UBound(categoriesUnique) + 1)

End If

Next categoriesUniqueCount

End If

Next categoriesCount

mancubus
02-09-2011, 03:49 AM
i think error is a result of the unmatch between 1st and error line.
maybe dimension of array.
(not an expert, just assumption.)

productsArray = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Value
For categoriesCount = LBound(productsArray) To UBound(productsArray)

GTO
02-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Hi Jeremy,

I am not exactly following, but you state as to the arrays being multi-dimensional. As you refer to rows and columns, I am guessing that the arrays are two-dimensional.

I am not understanding why this?

categoriesUnique(UBound(categoriesUnique)) = Array(productsArray(categoriesCount, 7))

You are assigning an array, albeit an array with only one value (I think?) to one element in categoriesUnique. Thus - I believe that...

If categoriesUnique(categoriesUniqueCount) = productsArray(categoriesCount, 7) Then

...is actually asking whether an array is equal to one value, which will foul.

While jagged-edge arrays can be useful, I don't see how one would be useful here. Again, I may be missing something...

Mark