PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Internet Information Server

Kaizer
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
I have Windows XP and I am trying to find Internet Information Server in Administrative Tools of my computer. As you can guess I cannot see it. Do you know where I can find it?

Why I need it? I need to create virtual directory under default web site.

Can you help?

MOS MASTER
06-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Hi, :yes

First of all one question. Do you have Home Edition or XP PRO?
If you have Home edition the show's over. IIS only comes with XP PRO!

Yes IIS is not installed by default.
You need to add it youreself. You probably need the CD. (Not always depends on installation)

Here's how you install:
http://www.petri.co.il/install_iis_on_windows_xp.htm
http://www.webwizguide.com/asp/tutorials/installing_iis_winXP_pro.asp

If your intention is to run ASP.NET sites aswell on your IIS you need to install .NET Framework BEFORE you install IIS. (Go to Windows Update additional Updates...there you'll find .net framework. (Get all updates as well))

If you install IIS first and then .NET framework the .net extensions will not work.

Enjoy! :whistle:

Kaizer
06-14-2005, 12:38 PM
:whistle: Enjoing! Groetjes. Thanks a lot, Joost.:bow:

MOS MASTER
06-14-2005, 01:28 PM
:whistle: Enjoing! Groetjes. Thanks a lot, Joost.:bow:
You're most welcome! :beerchug:

Jadawin
07-05-2005, 08:32 AM
There is a work-around to get IIS working on HOME version of XP. You would need Win 2k Pro to get IIS loaded however. I only used that on one computer, as my other systems were XP Pro. (I just wanted to see if I could get it to work) I didn't get it to work on that system, but I DID get it to work on another system for a friend. I think there was some low level hardware incompatibility. It's very much hit and miss. I recommend that you get XP Pro, or 2k Pro to run IIS, as the workaround isn't 100%, and it IS a P.i.t.A.

MOS MASTER
07-05-2005, 11:14 AM
Yes perhaps it's possible cause 2000 pro will cary IIS but it will not be the same version that XP Pro is using and like you said it's bound to have problems. (IIS is delicate enough as is)

For IIS you normally also need a good security environment and therefor PRO is better suited.

So the advice is right...use XP PRO. :yes