PDA

View Full Version : Change data in multiple documents

Xx7
02-25-2011, 11:13 PM
I have tables in multiple documents. These tables will all have exactly the same information in them. They will have the "Company name" and "Year-end date" I would like to be able to change the text in the tables for ALL documents by only changing it in one... Kind of like a master document. How can i do this? thx :)

macropod
02-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi Xx7,

Check out INCLUDETEXT fields in Word. By linking your target documents to a source document containing the volatile information, all you need to do is to edit the source document and the data will update in the target documents. You can even edit it in one of the target documents and, by pressing Ctrl-Shift-F7, have it update the source document and, hence, any other target documents.

Xx7
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
thanks, that works great! :)

What if I have one master excel document and I wish to change all my word docs by changing the values in the excel cells. Can this be done?

Would search and replace be the best way to do it?

macropod
02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Hi Xx7,

Yes, that can be done too, via LINK fields. The easiest way to set one of these up is to copy the Excel cells and, in Word, use Paste Special with the 'Paste Link' option and whatever paste format you want from the Paste Special dialogue box.

Xx7
02-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Great. Is there any way to automatically update the Word fields, without clicking the pop-up window or going into the specific fields and pressing F9? I would like them to automatically update with no notification.

macropod
02-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi Xx7,

If you go to Word Options|Advanced > General and check the 'update automatic links at open' option, that should take care of most situations. You might also want to go to Word options|Dispaly > Printing Options and check the 'Update fields before printing' and 'Update automatic links before printing' options. Beyond that Ctrl-A, F9 or a print preview should get most fields updated.

Xx7
02-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Perfect.. thx for the help!!