PDA

View Full Version : Google Ads

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
As you may see now, we are currently trying out Google Ads for the site. There are many things that Zack (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/member.php?u=11) and I have planned for this site, but they all cost $$, so we are seeing if these ads can generate some. This would allow us to put some money back into the site and it's users.

I will be deactivating these ads for all members that are VBAX Contributors (100 posts + 1 Kb Entry) and up, and for all staff.

If you have any questions or comments, please post.

Thanks

Jake

MOS MASTER
06-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Hi Jake,

Wel I don't find it disturbing in any way and running a forum that's growing costs money so 1 + 1 = google ads! :hi:

FYI. The ads show up Black in the editor screen I know its WIP but I thought I'd mention it.

Can't wait for all the things you and Zack have planned for this site because its allready great in looks and well maintained! :whistle:
(Thanks to the both of you for hosting this beauty!)

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-15-2005, 11:39 AM
I saw a black screen as well on the New Posts page. Not sure what is going on there yet.

Thanks

MOS MASTER
06-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I saw a black screen as well on the New Posts page. Not sure what is going on there yet.

Thanks
Well Staff can't see it no more so that's working properly! :yes

Zack Barresse
06-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Well Staff can't see it no more so that's working properly! :yes
Except Admins. ;)

Brandtrock
06-15-2005, 02:39 PM
I will be deactivating these ads for all members that are VBAX Contributors (100 posts + 1 Kb Entry) and up, and for all staff.

Is this going to be the same for the top of the KB entries page?

Just curious,

Zack Barresse
06-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Currently, yes.

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-15-2005, 03:31 PM
For the Kb, I want to remove the ad for anyone that has 1 or more Kb Entries. Still looking in to that change.

Howard Kaikow
06-15-2005, 10:13 PM
As you may see now, we are currently trying out Google Ads for the site. There are many things that Zack (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/member.php?u=11) and I have planned for this site, but they all cost $$, so we are seeing if these ads can generate some. This would allow us to put some money back into the site and it's users.

Thanks

Jake

r those ads coming from, as i recall, googlesyndication.com?

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
The ads come from google.com. They determine what ads to show based on the content of the page.

johnske
06-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Personally, I don't mind them in their present form. They're just on a small strip across the top so it's quite tasteful - unlike some sites that have rather large stips of ads up top and running down the side of the page as well.

And, hopefully, most net users are (or should be) aware by now that this is merely a way of cutting costs and we are not necessarily promoting/endorsing the products listed there.

mdmackillop
06-17-2005, 05:59 AM
Hi Jake,
Do you get more $$$ if we click on the links?

Howard Kaikow
06-17-2005, 06:42 AM
The ads come from google.com. They determine what ads to show based on the content of the page.

My concern is that I noticed, at another web site, a URL something like, pageread2.googlesyndication.com was try to write data (I ASSuME) to my system, and it was killing performance, i .e., no matter what link I clicked on the web site, the green activity light in the systray turned black and I could go nowhere at that site.

I sent an email to the site administrator, an dalmost immediately, te problem went away. Could be a coincidence, or maybe the site administrator was playing with settings. Have not yet received a response from the site administrator, so I suspect the latter.

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-17-2005, 07:43 AM
If you notice any problems like that, let me know asap.

We get a couple cents per click and we also get $$ per view, it depends on what the advertizers are paying google. But if everyone clicked one link every time they came to the site, that would be great. :)

mvidas
06-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Since they are disabled for me, I can't see/click them. Any way to re-enable them for me without a ton of coding?

Also, do you know if they have any limits on clicks from certain IPs? I'll click each link every time I visit if it means a little extra for the site, but if they only give you the money for 1 click per link per IP then I'll only click new ones.

ADDED:
I see the links on the KB page, I can just use those. Any way of opening a new window when following the link?

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Hold down shift when clicking the link and it will open in a new window.

The links probably only count once per ip, I am sure google verifies this to stop cheating.

I will enable the ads for you for now and any other staff member that doesn't mind seeing them.

Anne Troy
06-17-2005, 10:07 AM
Yes. They watch for fake clicking, so be careful. :)

mvidas
06-17-2005, 10:13 AM
I clicked on the 4 links on the KB page, did a hard-refresh (or whatever it is called when holding control and clicking the refresh button), and the ads were gone. I assumed maybe they disappear after clicking? But what do I know! :)

MOS MASTER
06-19-2005, 01:05 AM
Me likes clicking a lot so I'll go now and Click some adds! :tease:

Okay..clicked all available but it was no much fun. Only adds about Password security today..noting to do with Office...Bummer! :boohoo

johnske
06-19-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey, here's a freebie I picked up from the Google ads already, check it out - my very own site and forums - http://phpbb.ce7.net/nqarchery
(actually, seeing they were free I took two :devil: )

MOS MASTER
06-19-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey, here's a freebie I picked up from the Google ads already, check it out - my very own site and forums - http://phpbb.ce7.net/nqarchery
(actually, seeing they were free I took two :devil: )
Looks nice John! :yes

Brandtrock
07-20-2005, 12:42 PM

Has this policy changed?

Now I can see them when I couldn't before.

Just wondering,

Jacob Hilderbrand
07-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I was having trouble with the ads displaying properly. So for now at least, they are active for everyone.

Brandtrock
07-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Damn the electric fence!

Okay. I'll deal with it.

Small price to pay for all the good things that are here.:beerchug:

MOS MASTER
07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Now I can see them when I couldn't before.

Just wondering,

Hi TJ, :yes

Yes indeed I noticed this a few days ago...it was my impression it was a hint of Jake to make us click more on the adds! :rofl:

Brandtrock
07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
I haven't been around as much lately as I normally am. Apparently I wasn't bothered enough by the ads to notice until today. :bug:

In any case, it isn't too bad to deal with. Just about every other forum I go to has the same (or more obnoxious) ads. There are some decent things advertised in them as well, if ya pay attention.

MOS MASTER
07-20-2005, 02:55 PM
In any case, it isn't too bad to deal with. Just about every other forum I go to has the same (or more obnoxious) ads. There are some decent things advertised in them as well, if ya pay attention.

True, true..I found me some pretty nice site's clicking on those links with inventive products...

And to be honest I didn't mind them to begin with. :whistle: