PDA

View Full Version : MS Excel to MS Visio diagram

Jsam
03-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Hello,

I am working on Network design project. I have data in excel sheet and I want to generate all network diagram in MS Visio within a single click.

Here is the scenario. There are several network nodes with unique node ID . These nodes are interconnected with unique Link ID with its own parameter. for example , A -> B -> C -> D -> E -> A This is one ring. There may be some nodes connected to any of these node , for example c -> F -> G. This is open ended.

We have several rings for one cluster.

Now we need Visio diagrams with unique shape for sites on Ring or sites on open system. Also link has to be assigned with different shapes based on link capacity. Also, data for each links has to be displayed . There has to be connection strings for excel or database as data keeps changing as design is still under process.

We can not do this manually as the number of nodes are around 3000.

I was told that this can be done either with VBA coding or C++. I am familiar with T-SQL to some extend but new to VBA scripts.

I will be grateful if somebody help me with these coding and recommend where to start from. I can provide some sample data if you needed.

Thanks

-Sam

Bob Phillips
03-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Post your workbook so that we can see the data to build from.

Jsam
03-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for your interest XLD.

Here are some sample data. Please note, nodes from column A are
connected to column B or vice-versa, to make a single ring or open end . we also need to populate nodeID and link descriptions on diagram.

I understand this is totally confusing. But if you want, I will definitely try my best to make it more understandable.

Thanks

-Sam

Jsam
03-10-2011, 10:56 AM
any help pls......

Jsam
03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
HI all
Can anyway help me with this please where to start from

thanks