PDA

View Full Version : Footnote Reference Formatting Bad

Anne Troy
06-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Why is it that when we add another footnote to this file, it inserts the reference number NOT as superscripted??

Anne Troy
06-23-2004, 12:04 PM
By the way, I asked this question on behalf of Mulder, who has since become a member. Be nice to him; it's probably partially his fault that this forum exists.

Mulder
06-23-2004, 12:18 PM
By the way, I asked this question on behalf of Mulder, who has since become a member. Be nice to him; it's probably partially his fault that this forum exists.
That's true. Mulder gave Dreamboat a reason to live! :)

Anne Troy
06-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Egads...
The pomposity and arrogance knows no bounds. :deepsleep

cmpgeek
06-23-2004, 01:04 PM
i think i have an idea on this one, but am not sure how to attach anything here so you can look at it...try this

highlight the text within the footnote
RIGHT click and choose STYLE
FOOTNOTE TEXT should already be highlighted - if not click on it
click on MODIFY
in that window on the bottom row is a button with an arrow that says FORMAT
click on that and choose FONT
once in the FONT window make sure the superscript box is checked... it was not checked when i opened it here...

Anne Troy
06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Hey, cmpgeek. We want to know why it's happening this way at all. When Mulder opens a new document on his PC, and inserts a footnote, the number that appears in the text (not the actual footnote text) is superscripted.

But it appears that whenever he gets a file from someone else...anyone else...then the superscripting does not automatically occur. I took that file onto my PC and had the same results--the inserted cross-ref number was not superscripted.

1. We want to know if anyone knows the cause
2. I'm sure we'll want some automation if we can't determine the cause

We'll probably leave this open for a while to make sure we get everyone's input too. I'm hoping for input from JOrzech, md, fumei, and TonyJollans, at least.

cmpgeek
06-23-2004, 01:16 PM
DUH sorry about that - i was just so excited that i figured something out LOL... ill keep looking at it...

TonyJollans
06-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Input as requested ;)

The reason it's happening is because the Footnote Reference STYLE in the Document is not set to superscript.

The one reference that is already in the document has individual formatting applied to it, but any new ones added use the style.

If you change the Footnote Reference Style - or just delete the one from the Document (in the Style Organizer) so that you fall back on the one in Normal.dot - all will work as expected.

Why the style has been set up like that of course, I don't know. I guess it's wrong in Normal.dot on the originating PC and is getting copied into documents from there.

Mulder
06-25-2004, 09:02 AM
Input as requested ;)
If you change the Footnote Reference Style - or just delete the one from the Document (in the Style Organizer) so that you fall back on the one in Normal.dot - all will work as expected.

How to I change he Footnote Reference Style and delete the one in the document. Also, how do I fix that on the other computer so that the footnotes by default will be superscript?

TonyJollans
06-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I know I said you could delete the style from the Document (and you can) but that has an impact on the existing Footnote reference in the Document, so it is better to change it. In the document you posted ..

Select Format > Style... from the Menu
In the Styles: List on the left of the Dialog, Select Footnote Reference

Note that under Description: (at the bottom right) it says ..
The font of the underlying paragraph style +

This means that it has no additions to the underlying style (Normal in this case). To change it ..

Click on Modify...
On the next Dialog, Select Format > Font...
In the Font Dialog, check the Superscript checkbox
Click OK, then OK again

Now note that the Description says ..
The font of the underlying paragraph style + Superscript

Which is as you want, so you can just click Apply.

To change the default style on the originating PC: in a new Document ..

Select Format > Style... from the Menu (as before)
In the List: dropdown at the bottom left, select Styles in use
If you can't see Footnote Reference in the Styles: list on the left of the Dialog then you have a different problem and I don't know what it is at the moment, but assuming it is there ...
Press Organizer...
If not pre-selected, Click on the Styles tab
In the Styles available in: dropdown at the bottom right, Select Normal.dot (global template)
In the listbox above (the right hand one), Select Footnote Reference
Click on the Delete button in the middle. This will delete the (changed) style from the template and allow Word to fall back on its built-in format.
Click Close

Close Word, replying Yes if prompted to save the Normal Template.

Hopefully that will sort you. If not, do come back.

One final point, if you want to keep the red colour as shown in the sample document, you will need to maintain your own style in the Normal template - if you want this and can't make it work (and it is a little confusing), again, come back.

shades
06-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Input as requested ;)

Why the style has been set up like that of course, I don't know. I guess it's wrong in Normal.dot on the originating PC and is getting copied into documents from there.Sometimes when providing documents to publishing houses/editors, they require footnotes without the superscript reference (easier to edit without the extras). Hence it would make sense if the originator changed the style to comply with that standard.

Anne Troy
06-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Mulder doesn't work for anybody like that. He's a....can I tell them, Chris? :)

Mulder
06-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Mulder doesn't work for anybody like that. He's a....can I tell them, Chris? :)
It's already in my Bio!

Anne Troy
06-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Egads, yer such a pig. ROFL!!

cmpgeek
06-25-2004, 02:43 PM
you left out the most important part... are you single? LOL

Mulder
06-25-2004, 02:45 PM
you left out the most important part... are you single? LOLCyber Mulder is single, but the real Mulder is married! :)

shades
06-25-2004, 04:09 PM
Cyber Mulder is single, but the real Mulder is married! :)

With that kind of split personality, it's no wonder you have problems with footnoted references! :help

Scottie P
06-25-2004, 04:29 PM
Aha! Ha-ha-ha!

Whap!!

Mulder
06-26-2004, 11:10 AM
I know I said you could delete the style from the Document (and you can) but that has an impact on the existing Footnote reference in the Document, so it is better to change it. In the document you posted ..

Select Format > Style... from the Menu
In the Styles: List on the left of the Dialog, Select Footnote Reference

Note that under Description: (at the bottom right) it says ..
The font of the underlying paragraph style +

This means that it has no additions to the underlying style (Normal in this case). To change it ..

Click on Modify...
On the next Dialog, Select Format > Font...
In the Font Dialog, check the Superscript checkbox
Click OK, then OK again

Now note that the Description says ..
The font of the underlying paragraph style + Superscript

Which is as you want, so you can just click Apply.

Ok, I am using MS Word 2002 so the menus may be a bit different, but generally I understand what you are saying. However, when I make the change, it changes whatever footnotes I have highlighted, but doesn't change new ones I do. Also, it doesn't change the "Footnote Reference", it adds something called a "Style Footnote Reference". See the screenshot

Anne Troy
06-26-2004, 11:13 AM
I was not able to update the style like usual either...I tested that before we posted here.

Mulder
06-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Ok, here is what worked for me.

Select Format, then Styles and Formatting, go to the Show dropdown menu and choose ?Custom?, then click Styles, highlight footnote reference, choose modify, format, font, check Superscript, then check Ok, (here you can check the ?add to template? to add it to the Normal.dot), then click Ok, and then click Apply.

That changed the footnote style for the entire document, including new footnotes.

However, one thing I don't understand is what is a "Style" format and how do you use it and how do you delete it from Normal.dot. Somehow, I now have a "Style Footnote Reference" which makes the footnote red (came from the doc that Dreamboat saved above). I can delete it in any document, but can't figure out how to delete it in Normal.dot. Also, I'd like to know what the hell that's used for.

TonyJollans
06-26-2004, 04:39 PM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of this. I have 2K and posted exactly what I did, which worked for me. I don't know what's different in XP.

Mulder
06-27-2004, 09:14 AM
I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out of this. I have 2K and posted exactly what I did, which worked for me. I don't know what's different in XP.You helped significantly--just that the menu structure is a bit different. But you gave me the idea of where to look. I finally searched the help in Word and even that didn't explain it correctly (or I should say completely) so it was a combination of hunt and peck until it worked. But I learned a lot about Styles.

BTW to delete a new style from Normal.dot, go to Tools, Templates and Add-ins, Organizer, and delete it there.