PDA

View Full Version : Refresh Sheet1 or workbook periodically

LSM1604
03-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if it was possible for when the workbook opens, for it to refresh sheet1 (or specific cells) every 30 seconds.

Background:
The workbook is on a server and will have more than one person accessing it.
A shared workbook cannot be used.
Upon opening the workbook, a login screen loads where people can choose whether to go into "Edit mode" or "Info Only Mode". Only one person can be in "Edit Mode" at any one time.
Once "Edit Mode" has been selected, cell "N15" within sheet1 changes to who has logged in. The workbook then saves. This prevents anyone else who then loads up the workbook from logging into "Edit Mode".
All of the above works. Which brings me on to explaining the issue: (I will be using User1, User2 andUser3 purely as examples):
The workbook is not in use by anyone.
User1 then opens the workbook (being allowed to go into "Edit Mode" or "Info Only Mode"), but remains at the log in screen.
User2 opens the workbook and clicks "Edit Mode", therefore changing the cell and saving the workbook, preventing anyone who now opens the workbook from going into "Edit Mode".
User3 opens the workbook, tries to go into "Edit Mode", but is told that User2 is already in "Edit Mode", and that they can only view the workbook in "Info Only Mode", so logs into "Info Only Mode".
With User2 still in "Edit Mode", User1 then tries to log in to "Edit Mode" and is allowed to enter "Edit Mode", because the cell was changed and the workbook was saved after User1 opened the workbook. Now there are 2 people in "Edit Mode" - This cannot be allowed. (This is the issue).
I am aware that excel already has prompts for people already having the workbook open, but this is inadequate for what is required with this workbook.

Is there any way that when the workbook is showing the log in screen, for the workbook, sheet1 or cell "N15" to automatically refresh for either when "User2" logs into "Edit Mode" and changes cell "N15", or to refresh periodically (every 30 seconds). I have tried using the OnTime method but I don't really understand it.

I know the question is a bit long winded, but I have tried to give as much information as possible.

All help will be much appreciated.

Please help,
Thanks,
LSM1604

Cross Reference: mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=536870

LSM1604
03-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Can anyone help me with this please?