PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: problem opening Huge XLs file

helmekki
06-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Hi all

About 10,000 row and 30 column Xls file, the Excel can not open it......(full of formulas and macros)

i do not why........

could any one pls give some hints?

yours
hesham :dunno

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-23-2004, 03:23 PM
Can you post some more info about your PC specs like memory, processor speed, version of windows, version of Excel.

When you say it won't open what exactly happens, does the computer just freeze?

Just for starters try opening Excel first and let it fully load then from Excel open the file and see if that helps (as opposed to just opening the file from windows).

Also if there are any macros running disable them to see if that helps at all.

WillR
06-23-2004, 03:27 PM
see here too

http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20847

helmekki
06-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Hi WillR

my huge xl file is full of formulas and macros
the computer info:
memory is 40G

Ram 256

Speed 512 pantuim4

windows xp

Excel 2003

other of xls can normally be openned

Excel software is completely loaded

any more ideas are wellcomed

yours
hesham

Anne Troy
06-23-2004, 04:54 PM
What size is the file zipped? Can you get an older copy of the file off of some network server or any sort of backup at all?

Do you know that if you open a new blank Excel workbook, you can often type a link to your bad file? Here's the syntax: =[test.xls]Sheet1!A1

But if you don't know the names of the worksheets, I'm not sure how we'd do that.

Jacob Hilderbrand
06-23-2004, 06:49 PM
If you set calculations to manual and disable macros can you open the file??

skulakowski
06-25-2004, 08:15 AM
Try openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org). Openoffice has been able to open files that Excel refused to open, saving my sorry tush on more than one occasion.

Anne Troy
06-25-2004, 08:35 PM
skulakowski: Thanks for that. I ALWAYS forget that!! I must have it beat into my head, I suppose...

And welcome!

Kelly
06-25-2004, 09:14 PM
I just want to say that in the past I have opened humongous files that were apparently not opening but really they WERE opening -- just opening veeeerrrrry sloowwwly.

What I mean is, I once had a similar situation, so I did 'File' menu, Open.. and chose the file, then I left my computer alone for about 20-30 minutes, and finally the thing opened.

Don't know if that would work for you, Helmekki.

Ken Wright
06-26-2004, 04:12 AM
What size is the file, both unzipped and zipped?

Regards
Ken..................