PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Excel keeps freezing for about 5-7 seconds

DanOfEarth
04-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Hi,

Been using Excel for 20 years. This NEVER happened with 2003 or before. My 2007 Excel briefly freezes up for about 5 seconds every 20 seconds or so on a hefty spreadsheet when I format something or even expand a window, as if it's doing an autosave....but it's not.

My rig is juiced up enough for this "NOT" to be CPU related. I usually run four screens on XP with photoshop, adobe premier HD, Flash, After Effects, and Audio programs simultaniously....no problems. Excel by itself...seems to have a problem. And it does exactly mimic an autosave yet I've turned autosave off to no avail.

Has anybody else experienced this?

nepotist
04-01-2011, 08:04 AM
My experience with this situations was because of data links and macros having the volatile method set true.

Try to clean up your data connections and links attached to your spreadsheet and avoid Volatile methods if any.

DanOfEarth
04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
OMG, that's got to be it. I've never heard of the Volatile function until now. I've got a million Offsets and RANGE references, and they're linked to three spreadsheets. But, there's no way around it. I'm using Excel as a semi-multi-relational database until the main program can be programmed. I guess I'm stuck with it.