PDA

View Full Version : What is trailing text that's neither a footer nor a signature??

TheAntiGates
06-20-2005, 11:47 AM
Forgive my novice understanding of Outlook.

On one particular message only, I somehow picked up someone's "copyright" info - e.g. "this message may contain privileged blah blah." I probably got it from forwarding someone else's message; I'm not worried. My question is: where is this stored? AFAICT it's not a footer or sig.

What's particularly annoying here is that the blurb appears in the "Sent Message." Yet if I go Actions/Resend, it disappears. Thus I can't just delete it, as evidently it's not part of the regular text. However the little $%^&$^er is back mocking me when I view the new sent message. Help!

The Gayboy clause: All simply helpful help is appreciated. For any immature time-wasting remarks and puerile rants that one is a retard if they don't 'use a template!' or 'learn the object model!' or 'the problem is that you don't like Microsoft' or such, doubly thank you for just clicking "next post" instead, and taking your little pill. ty,tyvm

MOS MASTER
06-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Hi, :yes

That is called a disclaimer. Usually it has corporate text in it like: "If you are not the intended recipient blah, blah, blah..."

You also see it a lot with virus programming adding this text like: "This mail is scanned with NAV or something"

Normally this is done with Exchange and a server side script like:
Click here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317680)

But third party apps can do it also. And for that matter you could do it with vba adding the lines you want on send event or program the email all the way.:whistle:

TheAntiGates
06-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Thank you. Good job. That's very impressive that you identified what I suspect many would regard as obscure - "disclaimer." Anyway your ideas would explain how the message originally got the disclaimer. As none of those creation techniques are in effect here, I'm not regenerating it. (Or, hmmm, might there be a macro saved with the Outlook message?) At any rate I'd like to get rid of it, if I can find how to get to it.

You spurred me to consider http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;290945
which has "how to remove..." for tons and tons of things, but it doesn't look like Outlook disclaimer is one of them. (Maybe I'm off track looking at winword, but since my outlook 2003 loads Winword on startup, the line between Word and Outlook is blurred. I had always thought that Word was only used to edit messages, but it's unclear.)

MOS MASTER
06-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Well hi there..and you're welcome! :yes

The link I gave you in a previous topic was to get rid of Office Meta data. This has little to do with the added text in your email because that has to be inserted by code and it does not come there automaticaly.

So if I read you right you have one email or do you have more or maybe all email having this sort of disclaimer? Could you post it here so we can guess where it came from.

If it's just one I wouldn't be bothered by it, buth if its there on all your mail I would suspect some sort of mallware that's causing this ... cause it just ain't normal...

Could you please start over and tell me how you think you've got it and if it is on all you're email?

Put a example of it in here and tell me if you have special addins running in Outlook? That you no you've installed?

You must know that I'm just guessing here because I couldn't think of a normal reason you would have that on a outgoing email if that email was blank to begin with. (Different if you forward a message which already has a disclaimer)

Later..:whistle:

TheAntiGates
06-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Yes, I forwarded a message that had an existing disclaimer. Yes, this is the only email with a that or any other disclaimer. No, I have made no modifications to OL03. My objective is to remove this disclaimer - or at least have any control whatsoever on its functioning.

I'm sensing that there's no menu item Tools/Options/Disclaimer/"Edit Disclaimer Text" :dunno

MOS MASTER
06-23-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi, :yes

Well in that case that's design by default I presume because it works the same over here with such emails...(Must say never had a thought about it)

But if you want I'll run some test for you to kill the disclaimer.
Could you open that msg and use save as to save it as a *.msg and zip and attach it here?

I play with it if I get it. (You could also send me an email via Forum Mail button)

Later..:whistle: