PDA

View Full Version : Solved: VSTO

silentsound
04-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Hey,

This basically started with me looking into VBA certification (for Excel). I was wondering whether there was a 'course' in VBA that I could learn then end up with a certificate so that a potential employer knew I could do VBA (I am a student atm but aim to work in a bank)

Then I came across something saying that VBA is being phased out in favour of VSTO (whatever that is). So I guess my question is:
a) Is it worth me doing the certification on here or is there anything better out there?
b) Would it be worthwhile learning VSTO i.e. is everybody going to be using this in 5 years time in place of VBA?

sorry if this is an oversimplification of the situation!

Thanks guys, you're all awesome!

Bob Phillips
04-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Depends what you want to do. If you want to be a developer, VSTO, and .Net would be a better course for, especially if you have SQL server, Sharepoint et al. If you will be a business guy, looking to automate many day-to-day tasks, Excel and VBA will probably suffice for quite some time yet.

MS would love to phase VBA out and replace with some .Net solution, but at present they do not seem to have a viable way to do it, so they are stuck with VBA. They will not improve it, but they won't ditch it in a hurry.

silentsound
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Depends what you want to do. If you want to be a developer, VSTO, and .Net would be a better course for, especially if you have SQL server, Sharepoint et al. If you will be a business guy, looking to automate many day-to-day tasks, Excel and VBA will probably suffice for quite some time yet.

MS would love to phase VBA out and replace with some .Net solution, but at present they do not seem to have a viable way to do it, so they are stuck with VBA. They will not improve it, but they won't ditch it in a hurry.

Awesome, thanks for the help!