PDA

View Full Version : Extracting creation date of Access database

robert32
04-12-2011, 06:34 AM
Hi,

I have a database that I'm tryingt otie down the creation date to.

I can't find any comments in the code. I have a create date on windows, but reason to believe that it may stem from further back.

Could this be extracted from any other area? Is there a way to identify when form objects or sections of code were created in Access?

Cheers,

R.

dicepackage
04-12-2011, 07:44 AM
You can see the date at which tables were created. I am not sure what version of Office you use but in 2003 it is pretty simple. Click on Tables and click on View in the file menu and change it to Details view. This should give you the created and modified dates.

I was able to get a date for the database itself by right right clicking in the grey area and going to Database Properties. Clicking on General will give you the date of creation. This date may not be entirely accurate since when I checked mine I noticed it was clearly off.

hansup
04-18-2011, 06:06 PM
See what this query gives you.

SELECT MSysObjects.DateCreate
FROM MSysObjects
WHERE (((MSysObjects.[Name])="MSysAccessStorage"));

For the database I examined, that query gave me Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:58:16 PM
And from the Access 2003 main menu, File->Database Properties, then selecting the "General" tab gave me the same date & time for Created.
Also, from Windows Explorer, examining Properties of the file gave me the same date and time.

‎However, those 3 methods on my backup copy of the same database file gave me different results. The query still gave me Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:58:16 PM. But the other 2 methods gave me a date from several months later, which is when I'm guessing I created the backup copy.

So I would put more faith in the query which checks DateCreate of MSysAccessStorage. But even for that one, I have no idea how reliable it is in general.