PDA

View Full Version : How to get help quickly - and keep getting it.

BrianMH
04-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Hi,

I have read the "how to get help quickly post" I think maybe this should be a sticky on the top of every sub forum.

I also have a few things that you may consider adding to it.

Ask yourself do you really NEED help?
In my experience there are a vast number of people really happy to help where necessary. That being said, are you wanting help or are you wanting a code written for you from scratch? It may be helpful if you put forward your intentions first. If your wanting help have you tried:
1. Searching the forums
2. Searching the kb
3. Searching Google or some other web search engine
4. reading the help files for the functions your using
It is very likely that your question has already been answered.
The help files are actually really useful. I have taught myself most of what I know through the help files, asking questions, reading others codes and then reading more help files. They usually contain examples of code to show you how it works.

When asking for help remember that even though you have been looking at something for hours and what you want it to do makes perfect sense to you in 5 words or less, it doesn't to anyone else. Explain step by step what you want to happen, when and why it should happen (or not happen). What happens day to day in your circumstances is probably different to most others.

When someone gives you a code and it doesn't quite do what you want it to. Have a look at it then have a go at changing it. If you mess it up you can always ask again and when you do ask again you can tell us what you tried.

This post is not aimed at anyone in particular. We all get carried away and it is not meant to offend and I may be completely out of my place to post it but I think it is helpful. I know that some day I will probably get pointed straight back at this post saying follow your own advice :rotlaugh:

Rob342
04-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Hi Brian

Couldn't agree with you more, i only post when i get a blank or the mind goes.
I always do a search first to check whether it has been covered.

The most annoying thing is when you help someone and they dont bother to reply even to say thankyou.

Rob