PDA

View Full Version : Solved: What code lanuages does Excel 2010 understand?

frank_m
04-19-2011, 03:07 PM
I recall seeing somewhere that Office 2010 products can use Vb.Net instead of the aging VBA. - Is this true?

If it is true, are there other languages it can use as well, such as C# ?

If it is true, does re-writing everything in Vb.Net or C# increase the likelihood of having an Excel 2010 app. continue to work farther into the future, than it likely would with vba?

Any good links or books on the subject that you're familiar with?

Bob Phillips
04-20-2011, 02:43 AM
Office 2010 does not understand Vb.Net in the sense that it can be used from within say Excel, oh that it would be so, but it is more than possible to build VB.Net addins that can manipulate Excel using Visual Studio Pro.

It is hard to say whether CVB.Net or C# will extend the life of your app without knowing how long you expect it to be around. MS are struggling to create a good story on .Net and Office integration (for instance, we need to be able to quickly and easily build .Net UDFs) and as such are still committed to VBA. Personally, I see no change in the short of medium term.

Books are a tad sparse dealing wholesale with the subject IMO. I used to suggest Office 2003 Programming Real World Applications by Ty Anderson (published by Apress, Technical Reviewer a certain Bob Phillips), but I have recently received Pro Office 2007 Development with VSTO, also by TY, also published by Apress. I haven't had time to look at it yet, but I would suspect it is far more relevant to 2007/2010.

frank_m
04-20-2011, 05:52 AM
-- Thanks for the good information Bob

-- I'm marking this solved.