PDA

View Full Version : huge pst files

DBinPhilly
04-27-2011, 04:15 AM
I know nothing about Outlook, but am forced to support it at one of my customers. He is using Office 2010.

Even though I have set up a shared file/folder system on the Network Access Device, the president of the company is more comfortable using Outlook as a filing system, and against my repeated recommendations, stores all his mail, including attachments, in Outlook.

He currently has an MS Outlook .pst of about 7 Gigabytes, and an Archive of about 5 gigabytes and it looks like he has both open all the time.

He complains to me bitterly about the speed of his workstation (he is running Windows 7 with 4 gigabytes of RAM), and usually has about a dozen windows open with several Excel spreadsheets, an Access database, several pdf's, and 3 or 4 emails.

His system freezes from time to time (several times a day apparently) and he reboots. He has no virus problem, no bots, no maleware.

Am I right about Outlook being the source of his problem? Does anyone have a solution?

JP2112
05-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Without seeing the system, it's hard to diagnose. But it seems like the PST file is getting to the size where it will be an issue, not for the computer overall but for Outlook performance.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925/