PDA

View Full Version : Formula/Macro help need for pulling "words" from a cell

bobsacaman01
05-09-2011, 11:36 AM
Hello,

I've attached a file, one worksheet containing my "raw data" and the other containing the "finished workbook". I've been working with this data and manipulating it by hand, through sorting and deleting. I'm wondering if anyone can help me come up with a macro or formula that will do the work for me.

Making a macro for this is way over my head, and need suggestions and tips on how to extract the data from the text in each cell. I've tried first, last and mid formulas, but I'm just a novice on excel and don't know where to begin to pull the specific "words" that are shown in the "final example" worksheet. I guess I wouldn't be really extract "words" so much as the such and such "word" in the string?

Thank you so much, any advise, help, ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Note - In the finished example worksheet, the numbers in column A are strictly there for my sorting purposes and don't need to be included in any macro or formula.

ntrauger
05-09-2011, 03:04 PM
If you can come up with a set of rules how to distinguish wanted from unwanted data, I'm sure it would be fairly simple. From what I see, though, the data looks unpredictable.

bobsacaman01
05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
That's been my problem... the data is just too unpredictable, so I've had to sort/delete all the unwanted text by hand after space delimiting.

Rob342
05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Bob

Where does the raw data come from and what format is it "text File" "csv file" ?

If it isn't in a recoginsed format and the field lengths keep changing the i think you will find it very difficult to accomplish what you want.

Rob