PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Massive size of Excel file

starsky
05-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Hi,

I'm helping out someone with an annual report that is mostly a legacy document. It has multiple worksheets and charts. The problem is that, even when all data and charts have been delinked, the size of the workbook is massive (20+ mb). Copying any worksheet as a new workbook still produces a massive file of 18mb, even though just a single chart my appear on it. I have even replaced a chart with a picture and deleted the orignal chart and produced the same result.

Where is this size coming from?? I'm presuming Excel has always allocated a certain amount of space for this document that has been carried forward each year.

Paul_Hossler
05-10-2011, 08:25 AM
1. Instead of copying a worksheet as a new workbook, try to copy / paste just the data into a worksheet in a new workbook.

2. Possibly, there is formatting that extends into areas that have no data values, so you can try to delete Columns and Rows outside of where you have data

Paul

starsky
05-10-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks Paul. I actually took a look at the defined names just after I posted. I couldn't imagine they'd be responsible for the file size, but turns out they were. These had built up over time (30+). I deleted them all and the file is now 300k.