PDA

View Full Version : The Fastest VBA?

erosergun
05-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Guys,

I have a speed and performance issue.

I use an Excel sheet to read live data feed from a server. I run a lot of functions which are called from many and different cells as the live data is updated, say, hundreds of times a second.

I am afraid I will be facing speed and performance issues when I need to add more functions which need to work simultaneously together with the previous hundreds of functions.

Therefore, I am looking to a way to speed up my VBA code. I have to use Excel sheets and therefore I am stuck to Excel VBA ver 6.5 as I use Office 2003.

Any suggestions as to how I could improve the performance and speed of my code? I feel there is a bottleneck with Excel as there has to be a max limitation as to how many functions can be called if cells values change simultaneously. Is there a best practices or common mistakes guide for efficient VBA coding? Will there be any performance improvement if I use Visual Studio 2011 instead of VBA 6.5? But bear in mind I still need to use Excel worksheets. What about other languages C#, J# and the like as alternatives to VBA? Which one is faster?

Many thanks in advance

Paul_Hossler
05-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Hard to say without seeing any code

1. Get a faster computer

2. Make sure nothing else is running

3. Use an much intrinsic Excel capability as possible, instead of writing your own UDF's or even within your UDF's use Excel capabilities

If you post a typical example of 1 or 2 UDF's possibly people will have specific suggestions

Paul