PDA

View Full Version : Need more posts ^_^

Krickette
06-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Hi, I'm Krickette!
I figured I'd tell yall a little about myself and get some posts so that I can do links and PMs haha!
I am a super senior at Louisiana Tech University, studying Biomedical Engineering. I tried to do a minor in Computer Science, but didn't get very far before realizing that it was going to take up too much time and make me stay at Tech even longer! So I dropped that, but I did learn a few good things before I did.
I'm currently working for an Orthopedic surgeon at LSU hospital. We're going to get some papers published this summer, and help her with some other projects.
I'm in the process of obtaining a patent for my senior design project, which also took top honors this year at the RESNA student design competition in Toronto. So that's pretty exciting.
Other than that, I've grown up raising beef cattle, showing horses and heifers in 4H, and have had a pretty blessed life.

Aussiebear
06-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Welcome to the forum Krickette, and thank you for the background info. Having an agricultural background myself, what is 4H?

Krickette
06-29-2011, 08:44 PM
4-H is a youth organization. They have many areas like computers and robotics and photography and painting, but they are probably best known for their agriculture areas. There are forestry areas and even canning. It gets kids involved in livestock, learning what it means to raise an animal, what is involved in getting food on the table. I did poultry judging and equine judging and that sort of thing, too. But it gave us an opportunity to get together and compete, gave us something to strive for. I still have a whole basket full of blue ribbons in my closet. I was so proud, my Arab and I never got less than third haha! Which is saying something, as they are not a very popular breed in the area. I showed mostly against Paints and Quarter horses, ranch breeds and the like. Although we did have the occasional off the track Thoroughbred.
As far as cows, I showed commercial heifers. Just replacement heifers we pulled from our own pasture. It was hard to compete, as people would go out and buy high dollar animals and compete with those, it kind of took the fun out of it. But man, when I got to beat those kids with their expensive animal that had been exercised by hired hands, nothing felt better.
Here's 4-H's website: http://www.4-h.org/

Aussiebear
07-07-2011, 08:54 PM
As far as cows, I showed commercial heifers. Just replacement heifers we pulled from our own pasture. It was hard to compete, as people would go out and buy high dollar animals and compete with those, it kind of took the fun out of it.

It happens world wide I'm afraid.

jtrib84
03-28-2012, 11:54 AM
welcome!

mike112
05-31-2012, 06:19 AM
Welcome!

emvi11ab
02-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Welcome \o/

mkhirale
04-24-2013, 03:50 AM
Welcome to the forum Krickette.............I m also new user to this forum site.Myself Manisha.I m from India.I would like to talk and share new ideas with my new friends...............
Thank u.......................:hi:

xmlld
06-19-2013, 08:06 PM
why I haven't seen new one here