PDA

View Full Version : Maximum size for a typical .xlsm file

arrun
06-25-2011, 04:48 AM
Hi there, I would like to ask that, what could be the maximum size for a Excel2010 file (.xlsm) without having much concern in terms of saving, opening, and doing simple calculation?

I have one such big file with lot of objects, text boxes etc. (all are important) but it takes quite some time in opening and saving (especially auto saving.)

Any idea there?

Thanks,

repairman615
06-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Hello,

IMO, I think the file size is not first in the quality and speed of functionality of a WS. Having lots of format (conditional / color / borders) plays in as well as Data Validation, formulas, links. I admit I am a not an expert so others may have a more conrete answer. I am basically a contractor who found excel to make an Invoice and then got interested discovering new features and amazing results in Excel.

I have a few logs (.xlsm) around 600kbs that take what seems like a long time to load etc. Probably due to UDF's and marco use, standard and sheet modules of more than likely slow rookie code... not to mentions all the volitile functions in use to pull data from other WBs into 'pretty' tables and feilds.

I have used the Excel Diet (found here in the KB) to help reduce file size with some success. Another tip is to rebuild the worksheet from scratch. The theroy is that excel still remembers what was previously in the cell, but again, I am no expert.

-Jeff