PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Stripping numbers from alphanumeric strings

Andosam
07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi

I am attempting to write a small VBA script to cycle through a large number of rows in a column, identify those in boldand rename the cell to the value that it holds (i.e. cell A1 holds the value ABC, the cell name becomes ABC).

The issue I am having is that a few of the cells hold values beginning with numbers (i.e. 10ABC) which can obviously not be used as a valid cell name. My solution is to strip the numbers from the beginning and append the index number I am using to cycle through the rows to the end (to retain uniqueness)

I have trawled the internet but all the solutions I have found seem to rely on knowing the amount of numbers present etc. I am experimenting with using InStr and Replace functions but am struggling.

Is there a way of defining a class of characters to find in InStr or to identify in Replace similar to Perl, i.e. [0-9].

Thanks

Andosam
07-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Sorry, forgot to include the sort of thing Ive tried already, its along the lines of

If InStr(cellName, "-0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-") Then
cellName = Replace(cellName, "-0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-", "")
cellName = cellName & index
End If

The -0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9- is from a page I found suggesting this is the way to define a set of values but it doesn't seem to be working

Andosam
07-13-2011, 09:18 AM
I have been able to solve the issue of getting into the first IF statement by using
If InStr(cellName, ISNUM) Then
The main issue is now a way of getting the Replace function to replace any numbers.

p45cal
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
try adapting this (from http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=540953):
Sub blah()
For Each cll In Selection.Cells
MsgBox remleaddig(cll.Value)
Next cll
End Sub

Function remleaddig(str As String)
Set regEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
regEx.Pattern = "^\d+"
str = regEx.Replace(str, "")
remleaddig = Trim(str)
End Function

Andosam
07-14-2011, 01:28 AM
Thats great, thanks for your help. Bit of tweaking to include a regex.test to only append index if there are leading digits and it works perfectly!

Function remleaddig(str As String, ind As Long)
Set regEx = CreateObject("VBScript.RegExp")
regEx.Pattern = "^\d+"
If regEx.test(str) Then
str = regEx.Replace(str, "")
str = str & ind
End If
remleaddig = Trim(str)
End Function

Thanks