PDA

View Full Version : Declaring global Boolean variable?

imso
07-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Sorry if this might be a amateur question that i'm asking.. May i ask you guys how should i actually declare global Boolean variable and fixing it to false? Or by default Excel VBA already gave it a false value? But to be safe i wanted to know how to declare and fix a value for global Boolean?

I tired this but it kept giving me error?

Public CheckBoolean1 As Boolean
Public CheckBoolean2 As Boolean

CheckBoolean1 = False
CheckBoolean2 = False

Kenneth Hobs
07-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Set your values in a Module's Sub.

imso
07-24-2011, 08:20 PM
So i can't preset my global Boolean values initially? Or is the initial Boolean vlue set to false?

GTO
07-24-2011, 09:14 PM
So i can't preset my global Boolean values initially? Or is the initial Boolean vlue set to false?

Yes, a Boolean is initialized as False. You can check this by stepping through the code, or just making yourself a simple temp sub to learn, like:

In a Standard Module:
Option Explicit

Sub exa()
MsgBox CheckBoolean1
MsgBox CheckBoolean2
End Sub

Hope that helps,

Mark

Bob Phillips
07-24-2011, 11:57 PM
You could always set the variable on the Workbook_Open event if you want to initialise it as True.

Kenneth Hobs
07-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Most likely, you will want to set the defaults on open as xld said. There is no need to do that though if False is what you need.

In a Module paste:
Option Explicit

Sub SetDefaults()
CheckBoolean1 = False
CheckBoolean2 = False
End Sub
In the VBE, doubleclick ThisWorkbook object in the Project Explorer and paste. If it is not shown, select View > Property Explorer.
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
SetDefaults
End Sub
Of course you can run SetDefaults from any routine.

Bob Phillips
07-25-2011, 07:13 AM
I would explicitly set, even for False. Relying on system behaviour is dangerous IMO.

imso
07-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your advice but do you guys happen to know is there a function which will auto initialize upon opening the workbook? So that i can set certain value at the beginning?

Regards,
imso

Bob Phillips
07-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Yes, Workbook_OPen. I mentioned that earlier, Kenneth gave you an example.

imso
07-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Oh I've missed that because i do not know what Kenneth gave me was what i am mentioning above. Thanks Guys :)