PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED:] Shut off Microsoft Warning

gsouza
06-30-2005, 08:01 AM
This might not have anything to do with Excel, but it affects my code when opening up hyperlinks. When I am in Excel and I have code to hyperlink to a PDF file, I get a dialog warning that says.

Opening
http://pdneng01/pdm/doc_access.exe?R1190203PL%5f1%

Some files may contain viruses or otherwise maybe harmful to your computer.
It is important to make sure this file is from a trustworthy source.

Would you like to open this file

yes or no

It slows down what I want to do. How do I shut this off or what is the code I need to keep this dialog box from opening up. Please help.
Thank you

Ken Puls
06-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Isn't that the biggest PIA?

I'm not aware of any way to shut it off, although I can't remember what I've tried to do it. If it's really important to me not to see it, I've always coded around it.

You could try the FollowHyperlink event though... maybe a DisplayAlerts=False in there might do the trick, but I'd be careful about that as you would want those turned back on.

Alternately, you could try the FollowHyperlink event, and evaluate the target contained in the cell. Get the name of the file, and launch it using the shell application instead, then cancel the hyperlink.

Conceptual thoughts more than anything, but one should work.

If someone does know how to shut off this irritating message, though, I'd love to know it as well. :)

gsouza
06-30-2005, 09:56 AM
OoooH, thank you, but i worked around it by opening the linked files in a Webbrowser Control on a form.. Thank you so much. I will mark this as solved. I saved your reply in my notes for future reference. Thanks again.

Ken Puls
06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm still curious if anyone knows a way to shut this off. Somewhere there has to be a checkbox of some kind to disable the security warning, or a Regsitry hack or something. (Yes, Joost! Another Registry hack! ;) )

It just always seemed like a lot of work to get around the issue, and I've wondered if I've overlooked the obvious, you know?

gsouza
06-30-2005, 10:03 AM
I guess not, check this out
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;291912

Ken Puls
06-30-2005, 10:10 AM
This feature is designed into Microsoft Office to help protect you from malicious code.

... with no regard for the advanced user who may wish to turn off this feature, even knowing the risks.

I hate it when they do that. :motz2:

gsouza
06-30-2005, 10:13 AM
It sucks but your angry face just made me laugh, hey thanks again for your help.

MOS MASTER
06-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi, :yes

Yes how we love our computers bloodline. :rofl: (The registry)

Never had that message before but did a little search and I found this.

Here is a solution for how to avoid the Virus Warning, if you start
another application via hyperlink out of an Office Application. You have to
do it for every application or file-format you want to follow a link.

- open the (File-)Explorer
- goto "View" -> "Options" or "Tools" -> "Folder Options"
(depends on your Explorer)
- select "File Types"
- now you see all the registered file types on your system . You should
select the file type which you want to start out of an Office Application
- click "Edit"
- there is a checkbox named "Confirm open after download"
- deactivate this box
- confirm every "OK-button

From now on there should not appear any Virus Warning when opening
another application out of an Office Application with a hyperlink.

I wouldn't however advice not to do this for the record, cause it will probably work on all types of files you down...and the warning is there for a good reason..

But you asked for a sollution and this seams like one. (Maybe more if I look harder but there's little time)

Later..:whistle:

MOS MASTER
06-30-2005, 10:22 AM
... with no regard for the advanced user who may wish to turn off this feature, even knowing the risks.

I hate it when they do that. :motz2:
Ahums they always tell that not to give you bright ideas there's little that has no workarround if you look hard enough! :rotlaugh: