PDA

View Full Version : Using Office Web Components/Controls in Excel 2010

bjsatola
08-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Some background:

In the past, I have used OWC11 to succesfully chart within UserForms
Download Link: microsoft<<dot>>com/download/en/details.aspx?id=22276
This has been done using Excel 2007 on a 32-bit Vista machine.
I perform and store many calculations in MS Access, and use Microsoft Excel VBA as the user interface using UserForms.
My application requires charting within these UserForms (i.e. pasting image-files of charts is not a solution).Problem:

I'm now running Excel 2010 on Windows 7 64-bit machine.
I've re-installed OWC11, but I am having trouble adding the Chartspace control to the Toolbox (Right-click > Add Controls > MS Office Chart XX.X is not there to reference OWC11).
Where has the Chartspace control gone???My humble plea : pray2::

I am rather fond of charting within a UserForm, and I am fustrated that Microsoft seems to no longer support this feature (i.e. no new versions of OWC out there?).
I need to know how to add a Chartspace control to the Toolbox.
Alternative solutions are welcome as long as I can chart within the UserForms, but enabling the Chartspace control would be prefered (so I don't have to do major code changes).Any assistance would be greatly appreciated; best regards,
>>B

Aflatoon
08-12-2011, 02:48 AM
You need to set a reference to the Office Web Components library.

bjsatola
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I've done that:

As I said, I've been running successfully using Excel 2007 running on a 32-bit version of Vista. Now I've switched to Excel 2010 running on a 64-bit version of Windows 7, and I can no longer see OWC11 controls within the toolbox.

I've reinstalled OWC11 on the 64-bit machine and it seems to have taken (i.e. I can see it in the object browser after making the reference); however, I am not able to add it to the Toolbox.

I've done some additional searching, and it is likely the case that I can't mix 32-bit ActiveX controls with 64-bit operating system. If this is the case? Is anyone aware of any charting controls for a 64-bit operating system that can be added to a Userform??

Aflatoon
08-12-2011, 03:19 PM
Unless you are running 64bit office, I don't think there should be a problem there. Did you register the OWC dll successfully?

bjsatola
08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Ooops, that's a good point to make/clarify... I'm running 64-bit office as well... I didn't think about that; I guess I could un-install the 64-bit version and then install the 32-bit version of office as a solution. But isn't there a library I could reference that would work on 64-bit machine?

Are you, or anyone else, aware of any other utilities to chart within a userform (besides OWC11 or pasting an image file of a chart)??

Aflatoon
08-13-2011, 01:22 AM
I don't know of any MS options for that, but there may be a third party component that will work on 64bit. Do you have a particular need to use 64bit Office?
You could use Stephen Bullen's paste picture code to do it without an actual image file if that would work - although you would have to update the API calls for 64bit Office.

bjsatola
08-13-2011, 09:52 AM
No I don't have any particular need to use 64-bit Office, I think I'm just being stubborn about it at this point... :dau:

Thanks for the input :-)
Cheers,
>>B

Than
08-11-2012, 12:52 AM
It's not a 64bit Winsows issue; it's a Windows 7 issue.

Go to "answers.microsoft.com" and search for "resolution to owc pivot problem" I am new to this forum and cannot post direct links.

The issue apparently is not yet resolved by Microsoft. VSTO and Sharepoint solutions are possible alternatives.

bjsatola
08-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Yes, but...

Although Microsoft made a decision not to support the OWC does not mean that OWC will not work in their newer Office versions. It just means that it does not come standard in the installation package. All you need to do is install it yourself (of which there are resources via the web to do so); however, this only works for 32-bit and not for 64-bit. OWC was only developed (from my understanding) for 32-bit... What I was hoping for was that someone developed some 64-bit OWC extensions that I could use...

As for me I opted to ditch the user-forms, and now I just output to a worksheet and use sheet-events to help do some of the other things; regards,
>>B