PDA

View Full Version : Solved: Need help migrating Word 2003 macros to Word 2010

Macropolis
08-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I'm looking for some guidance on how to migrate MS Word 2003/OS XP macros to Word 2010/OS Windows 7.

I have inherited a robust package of MS Word macros that have passed thru many hands over the past 10 years. The macros generate letters and reports, and are currently accessed in MS Word 2003 by users using OS XP. Each macro contains a substantial amount of written VB code, with the whole package compiled as an .exe via Wise Solutions’ Installation System Version 9 for deployment to 100s of users over our network.

Once the macros .exe is loaded on the user’s PC and Word is launched, users access the macros via custom menus which are displayed next to the standard “File Edit… Table Window Help” menus at the top of the screen.
My question has to do with how these macros can be migrated from their current Word 2003/OS XP environment to an up to date Word 2010/OS Windows 7 environment. Is this even possible? Just the custom menu issue alone has me thrown for a loop since the traditional Windows menu has been replaced in Office 2010 by the ribbon, and our custom menus don’t show in the ribbon on any tests we’ve done. On top of this, the system file structure between XP and Windows 7 is significantly different; when we do a deployment on our test machine, I can't even locate a lot of the files.

Any suggestions on how to salvage these old macros so that the folks who use them can be on the same system set-up as the rest of us, rather than having to rapidly rewrite them all (at least 250)?

Frosty
08-16-2011, 11:43 AM
You have a lot of reading ahead of you.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338198%28office.12%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338202%28office.12%29.aspx
(and the other two parts)

The above links should provide some entertainment (they are geared to 2007, but the same info applies for the jump from 2003 to 2010).
The short answer is: yes, it's possible. In fact, most of the stuff (not your deployment strategy via the .exe since you're also moving to Win7) should work just fine in Word 2010. The user interface is the biggie, but your existing commandbars (except on context sensitive menus), should show up in the Addins tab in most cases. If they aren't, you'll need to explain a little more specifically what the UI design is in 2003 (are they temporary toolbars, are they attached to specific templates, are they context toolbars, etc). EDIT: I forgot to mention the concept of Trusted Locations, which might be another reason your buttons aren't showing up anywhere. Look that up as well.

For the most part, you will not need to rewrite your code (the stuff that runs after you click any buttons), but you will need to rethink your deployment package.

And you will need to change any of your code to work with the new user interface (any dynamic menus, etc). So anything which sets up your environment will need to be rewritten, mostly from scratch. Anything which creates documents (the dialog you use to fill in info for your letter) will probably be just fine.

It's not a small task, and if you are not a VB/VBA expert already, you're going to need one to help you or give yourself a lot of time to experiment and test.

Good luck, and happy reading!

Frosty
08-16-2011, 11:51 AM
And, in terms of big picture stuff on this project... there are a host of other issues to deal with in this migration. You should look at some of free webinars available from the larger macro vendors (MicroSystems, Payne Consulting, etc) to get an overview of the kind of issues involved.

The move to the new file format may be meaningless to your company, or it may be a much bigger deal than trying to find your macro buttons. But it's potentially a big gotcha, depending on how your templates are designed and the level of expectation regarding collaboration on documents (both in-house and externally).

Good luck. This is not a minor task, so anyone you answer to should understand this is not something you can get comprehensive info on from a random messageboard on the internet, and voila-- your upgrade should be ready in a couple of weeks.

Macropolis
08-18-2011, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the quick and informative reply!