PDA

View Full Version : Importing Data

Learner123
08-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I am faced with a dilemma when importing data into Excel 2007.

A simplified version of my problem:

I am importing a table from a database (also Excel 2007) that has data in column A. The data imports into column A of the new workbook, which works fine.

The problem occurs in column B of the new workbook. Columns B in the new workbook requests a manual entry, which the user enters based on the data that is imported into columns A of the same row. The new workbook is saved and closed. Now if the database is adjusted by deleting an existing data cell in column A, the new workbook refreshes column A but column B does not adjust to the change. Is it possible to have Column B inputs adjust accordingly to the change in imported data?

Basically, what happens is that when one cell of data is deleted from the database, the import range shifts up causing a misalignment between column A and B. Any clever way to address this?

Thank you in advance for your help!

CatDaddy
08-25-2011, 09:32 AM
does column a adjust with a workbook change event?

Learner123
08-25-2011, 11:35 AM
I am not sure what your question is, but Column A in the new workbook changes when the database workbook is altered. I am not sure how to have column B in the new workbook change also. Column B in the new workbook doesn't feed from the database and needs to adjust to the new data in column A. Is this possible?

Aussiebear
08-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Basically, what happens is that when one cell of data is deleted from the database, the import range shifts up causing a misalignment between column A and B. Any clever way to address this?

Yes, don't use delete. Clear Content of cell instead.

Learner123
08-26-2011, 05:13 AM
You make an intresting point Aussiebear - but leads to a problem in the longer run. If user clears data from the database and then opens the new workbook, everything remains aligned. However, if the user sorts the new workbook and then refreshes the import, everything is thrown off. Preventing the user from sorting may be an option, but is there another work around to this dilemma?