PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Selections for Data Validation - without Macro

vishwakarma
08-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Hi Guys,

Is there a way by which we can use data validation in excel to include option to select multiple choices in validation list without macro. I have list of around 6-7 values in the drop down list of the validation and don't want to make multiple combination as well.

Any idea how we can do it...

Thanks,

Bob Phillips
08-26-2011, 01:38 AM
Probably can build a formula to do so, but more detail please.

vishwakarma
08-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Hi Bob,

Few days back I got a request from my salespeople to create a functionality where they can select multiple values from the drop-down of the data validation and as we know a regular data validation will only let you to select only one value at a time. So, I did some R&D and got a macro code from a website which actually helps you to select multiple values through that validation, but my problem is that It’s been very difficult for me to explain each and everyone of them about enabling the macros at their end as they know nothing about excel settings.

So, I was looking to do this through formulas instead of macros. If this can be done that would great.:yes

Hope, I stated my requirement clearly...

Also, attached a file for your reference.

Thanks is advance...

vishwakarma
08-30-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi,

Can anyone help me on this?:help

Thanks...

Aussiebear
08-31-2011, 03:47 AM
After having been to www.contextures.com and reviewing Debra's tutorial, I think you should keep going with the "Yes I need you to enable macro's for this workbook."

Just in case you missed this bit, have a quick look, http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2009/09/18/select-multiple-items-from-excel-data-validation-list/

Bob Phillips
08-31-2011, 03:56 AM
The standard way to approach this is as follows.
- create a worksheet with a message on explaining that for this workbook to run it needs macros enabled, maybe even a few screenshots
- hide all other worksheets
- add some code in the Workbook_Open event that un hides the other sheets, but hides that sheet.

What happens is that if they do not enable macros, they will only see the
warning sheet, telling them how to do it. If they enable macros,it will
startup the workbook as it should be.