PDA

View Full Version : If two geographical data match in two sheets, then add/copy/replicate unique id/code

alliage
09-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Hi guys, this is my problem.

I have a geographical data (divided into four colums per REGION, PROVINCE, MUNICIPALITY/TOWN, and BARANGAY/STREET) in one sheet. This sheet contains a UNIQUE GEOGRAPHICAL CODE that IS NUMERICAL IN NATURE.

Now, I have also another sheet which lists the same geographical data (divided into four colums per REGION, PROVINCE, MUNICIPALITY/TOWN, and BARANGAY/STREET). The geographic areas included in this sheet are recipients of one government program. But this sheet does not contain the UNIQUE GEOGRAPHICAL CODE.

What I would like to do is to match the geographical data found in two sheets, and if they match, copy/replicate/add the UNIQUE GEOGRAPHICAL CODE found in sheet to the other sheet that does not contain the code.

I would like to include the geographical code, so that it would become the primary key when I create a database in MS Access.

This is the example

SHEET 1
A B C D E
0019 REGION I BASILAN PROVINCE TIPO MUNICIPALITY BORAS STREET

*Column A contains the UNIQUE GEOGRAPHICAL CODE

SHEET 2
A B C D
REGION I BASILAN PROVINCE TIPO MUNICIPALITY BORAS STREET

*Sheet 2 contains only 20k entries of geographical areas while Sheet 1 contains about 40k entries. Only half of the geographical areas are included in the government program

Can you help me?

Bob Phillips
09-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Cross-posted at ExcelGuru http://www.excelguru.ca/forums/showthread.php?429-If-two-geographical-data-match-in-two-sheets-copy-unique-id-code-found-in-one-sheet