PDA

View Full Version : Sum if function

Klartigue
09-19-2011, 12:23 PM
I have an excel table that has different brokers in Column A, A1 has a drop down where you can select a certain broker. In column I, there are quantities. I would like to be able to sum all the quantities for a certain broker. So I would like to use the drop down, select a broker, and have a sum function at the bottom of the page that sums the quantity for that broker. However, I would like the function to be linked to each broker so anytime you select a broker in the drop down, the sum if automatically sums all the quanitites for the selected broker.

Do you have any idea as to how to write this in excel? And i dont need a macro, just an =sumif in a cell. But im not sure how to make it automatically update when i select a different broker from the drop down.

I have attached the sheet

Bob Phillips
09-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Try

=SUBTOTAL(109,I:I)

parttime_guy
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I think it is

=SUBTOTAL(9,I:I)

plz correct me if I am wrong....

Best regards

Aflatoon
09-19-2011, 11:21 PM
109 will react to manually hidden rows as well as filtered ones; 9 will not. That functionality was added in 2003, I think, so will not work in earlier versions.

Bob Phillips
09-20-2011, 12:35 AM
You are wrong. You wanted to total visible rows, 109 does just that as it says in the help file. As you have an xlsx file you must have 2007 or 2010 so it works.