PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper: Dodge-ball Team Sorting System

sti003
07-05-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm pretty new at Excel and VBA, but thanks to VBA Express, I'm starting to get the hang of things. :thumb

I'm living out in Japan, and was given the wonderful task of organizing my kid's elementary school's dodgeball tournament. Can anyone help me with the following problem?:dunno

What I have to do, is take a list of kids (15 in grade 3, 12 in grade 4), and sort them into a number of teams (the number can be inputted at the top of the worksheet), and then shuffle the teams each day over a number of days (this number can also be inputted at the top of the worksheet).

The restrictions being, that if possible, the kids can only be on the same team only once (to get the kids playing with as many different other kids as possible)...so if Kid A and Kid B are on the same team Day 1, they will not be on the same team day ever again (Day 2 - 4). AND if they are from the same family (have the same last name), they should only be on the same team if it is unavoidable.

I was trying to create a macro that loops through the list of kids, and puts them each on a team until all the kids run out (that way, the teams are balanced number wise as best as possible) on Day 1 (in a new worksheet), then shuffle the names for Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, etc...and check to make sure that in the past that 2 kids had never played together...however, I'm completely lost now.:banghead:

My original macro/Procedure was really spaghetti-like, so I'm open to throw it out if anyone has any better alternatives. :hi:

Please help me!

Thanks for your time!

Dave

sheeeng
07-05-2005, 07:53 AM
はじめまして。(Nice To Meet You First Time)

Welcome to VBA Express!:clap:

わたしはりです。(I'm Lee)

I'll try to help you...Giv me some time...:friends: (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

まった。(See You Again)

ps. My japanese is very bad....kindergarden level...:dunno (http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)

Correct me if my japanese translation is wrong..

sti003
07-05-2005, 05:25 PM
おはようございます! (Good morning!) :hi:

リーさん, thanks for your time and effort :bow:

I have this week and next week to try and get the macro/system finished...so whatever help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Which part of Malaysia are you from? I've been to Kuala Lumpur a couple times on business. Beautiful place!

I will also try to keep working on the system, so if I get anywhere, I'll let you know!

誠に、ありがとうございます! (Truly, thanks for your help!)

またね! (Talk to you later!)

Dave

sheeeng
07-05-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm from Kuala Lumpur. Pls give me some time on your project because I had many thing on hand to do this week...

sti003
07-05-2005, 06:48 PM
No problem!:thumb

Take your time!

Thanks again! :friends:

Dave